Calculating Hole Size For Odd Thread Sizes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am from India and I think you erred a little in this assumption.
I know 3 languages Marathi my mother tongue, Hindi the national language and English the universal language. I don't think I am offending anyone by saying English is universal language.
I can understand Gujarati but cannot speak.
Some people take Sanskrit the ancient language in school and can understand it but it is not a everyday use language.
So I think the average will be around 3-4 languages including English.

Regards
Nikhil
Again a "Wow" as to how far we are from the thread title. ☺

The country I think that has most "official" languages is Switzerland. Depending on which part you live your every day language can be German, French or Italian. Most Swiss I've met are also excellent at English.

Oops, there's also Schweizerdeutsch which I think is more a dialect than a language.

Thanks Nikhil Bhale. Whereabouts is Marathi the language? I worked with a few guys from different parts of India, who all told me they learned a lot of "Indian" languages, plus English. They were all lettered Engineers, so maybe they went to different schools? One guy spoke more than 10 languages (or perhaps some were variations? - he said he was learning French so he could talk with his French business contacts!), another 7 and I didn't make note of the rest, but one told me it was common for modern young "Indians" to learn at least five but usually more like 7... (Depending on where they settled?). Another guy spoke a lot and learned 2+ languages in Dubai when his wife got a very highly paid job there, so they moved there for 4 years. I use "Indian" as a very general phrase, for all my colleagues from the sub-continent (As big as the USA?), as one guy was from the far north in the Himalayas, another the South East, and others from all over. But really the common language seemed to be Cricket! - Especially when beating England! But I know very little about all the various people there, having never visited and travelled. Good to meet you though the wires!
K2

Again a "Wow" as to how far we are from the thread title. ☺

The country I think that has most "official" languages is Switzerland. Depending on which part you live your every day language can be German, French or Italian. Most Swiss I've met are also excellent at English.

Oops, there's also Schweizerdeutsch which I think is more a dialect than a language.
Sorry - - - there is a fourth official language in Switzerland - - - Romansh.

Use case there - - - German 70%, French 20 ish %, Italian 10% and Romansh circa 1%.
That's the 'official' numbers.

Unofficially its sorta interesting when listening to a conversation where one guy starts in language 1 guy #2 responds in #2 then guy #1 moves to #3 and from then on its #2 and #3. When business is done - - - well - - - it was a no biggie !!

I've met a lot of educated (university not trades though) where 5 and 6 languages was considered sorta normal.
It was common to have studied 2 besides your main use language before finishing high school.
Here in North America its only the last 25 or so years where its considered sorta 'normal' to be able to even 'use' more than one language.

Thanks Nikhil Bhale. Whereabouts is Marathi the language? I worked with a few guys from different parts of India, who all told me they learned a lot of "Indian" languages, plus English. They were all lettered Engineers, so maybe they went to different schools? One guy spoke more than 10 languages (or perhaps some were variations? - he said he was learning French so he could talk with his French business contacts!), another 7 and I didn't make note of the rest, but one told me it was common for modern young "Indians" to learn at least five but usually more like 7... (Depending on where they settled?). Another guy spoke a lot and learned 2+ languages in Dubai when his wife got a very highly paid job there, so they moved there for 4 years. I use "Indian" as a very general phrase, for all my colleagues from the sub-continent (As big as the USA?), as one guy was from the far north in the Himalayas, another the South East, and others from all over. But really the common language seemed to be Cricket! - Especially when beating England! But I know very little about all the various people there, having never visited and travelled. Good to meet you though the wires!
K2
I'm not saying that anyone isn't telling the truth but maybe a wee bit of exaggeration re number of languages. I speak and write fluent English and Danish so I am bilingual but I also understand a good bit of Norwegian and Swedish. I also know enough German to ask directions and order food.
I'm not in doubt some are fluent in several languages but but it isn't as proliferent in India as Nikhil Bhale seems to indicate. I've been to India several times, talked to many, and never met any that could speak multiple languages. Imagine someone from Glasgow (where i originally come from) talking to a Cockney LOL Dialects aren't to be confused with languages. I've been to the USA many times and never a problem being understood ☺ In fact the Scottish accent seems popular. Maybe Sean Connery??? LOL

Sorry - - - there is a fourth official language in Switzerland - - - Romansh.

Use case there - - - German 70%, French 20 ish %, Italian 10% and Romansh circa 1%.
That's the 'official' numbers.

Unofficially its sorta interesting when listening to a conversation where one guy starts in language 1 guy #2 responds in #2 then guy #1 moves to #3 and from then on its #2 and #3. When business is done - - - well - - - it was a no biggie !!

I've met a lot of educated (university not trades though) where 5 and 6 languages was considered sorta normal.
It was common to have studied 2 besides your main use language before finishing high school.
Here in North America its only the last 25 or so years where its considered sorta 'normal' to be able to even 'use' more than one language.
You're right. I forgot Romansh. There is a large number of them in Switzerland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romansh_language

Hi
Steamchick Marathi is language of state of Maharashtra. Mumbai/Bombay is capital of the state.
Threadman We usually have to take 3 languages in school. English, Hindi and state language. Some school offer other options too like Sanskrit, German, French, Spanish etc.
You pick up more regional languages if you are into regional movies/TV shows.

Regards
Nikhil

What I have done in the past is pick a thread size to put on the tube then measure the depth of the finished threads. If threads are .050" deep the hole diameter for the cap needs to be .050" x 2 = .100" smaller, you still need to add clearance about .003" to .005" for the cap.

Thanks Nikhil. I enjoy learning about geography on these threads, as well as the Engineering.
Sorry to be so far off "thread" main subject, but maybe this s the simple answer to the original question?
"My Favorite Thread Calculator - Any thread you can dream up." - A reply on another thread, from Lloyd, back in March..
K2

I have recently visited two aerospace companies in the UK, both are building equipment used on commercial aircraft all over the World, both used imperial measures. Why is this, simply the thousand of an inch is a very useful unit, rough turn to .005, precision turn to .001, grind to .0001.
Turning to thread systems, Whitworth is ideal for cast iron, ME in 32 and 40 TPI are good for shallow threads particularly in scale model pipe fittings, 26 TPI is excellent for brass work and BSP is ideal for wrought iron pipe work and used everywhere, the threads are strong enough to withstand pressure in softer materials and the excessive use of muscle by plumbers, BA is logical and provides a standard range good for:modelling and instrument work, metric steps in these small sizes are too large.
just my two penny worth!

I like that Drawfiler... I think you are saying it is like a chef with knives. Plenty of assorted favourites for various applications - but the Housewife may use only 2 knives, a short one and a long one. Not perfect for every job, but she manages OK. (And saves her sharpest - her tongue - for correcting "him" when necessary...?)
Brought up on Imperial and having adapted to over 45 years of industry using Metric, I just pick an appropriate size and thread for the job. My own designed models & stuff usually contain more than 1 thread design... A cover plate could use BA or Metric, pipes BSP, small model parts ME, large structural stuff Whit, BSF or Metric (whatever I have in stock) but a Big-End would have whatever the available high-tensile studs or bolts come with. My pal has a worse problem with his 1960s Japanese motorcycles, as they are all JASO metric - which is different to European metric... But I have a 1970s Italian V50 Guzzi and local built modern Nissan so no probs there!
I have some NF taps and dies and a few odd fixings, but avoid those as difficult to source this (East) side of the Atlantic.
K2

ajoeiam: Write to me - or set-up a separate thread for "Purchase/Loan/Exchange"??
A simple thing. Fred in USA wants a thingamajig, available in UK but cheaper bought in the UK. Harry buys it and sends to Fred. Fred covers Harry's costs. And vici-versa?
Drop me a line and I'll get a UK cost of whatever bits you think are cheaper here. No probs!
Only thing, you are "buying blind". We get so much Asian tooling that is the size, but is cheap, so doesn't have "US/British/German/Swedish etc." steel quality, tempering, etc. All sold by local firms in the UK, so we don't know what we are getting. "You pays ya money and takes the bits". Most of Europe has been flooded with cheap stuff, because local industry has been closed by "costs" and "Regulation".
Sometimes Customs costs are the major item... so it needs research. I have considered getting stuff from USA via 3&@y, etc. , then found the US Postal shipping cost to be prohibitive - because the customs duty, fees & handling charges are big.
So "Check, Check, Check."... before you buy and ship?
K2

Ever seen Korean inches? 10 to the Imperial foot. They managed to Metricate by themselves, without "Imperial" rule..
The have 1 foot rules printed/engraved on both sides, "Imperial" inches one side and Korean inches on the other. Just talk to them and they are completely sure which unit when they discuss sizes. It is just "language". Not too difficult for anyone brought-up in multiple languages. Typically in India children learn 7 languages, then travel the country and use "English" as the universal language..
Our brains are all built the same (like Dell computers) but programmed with different software in different places.
K2
Feet and tenths was common in surveying when I did it in 1970 though I suppose in Canada it's change to metric.

ajoeiam: Write to me - or set-up a separate thread for "Purchase/Loan/Exchange"??
A simple thing. Fred in USA wants a thingamajig, available in UK but cheaper bought in the UK. Harry buys it and sends to Fred. Fred covers Harry's costs. And vici-versa?
Drop me a line and I'll get a UK cost of whatever bits you think are cheaper here. No probs!
Only thing, you are "buying blind". We get so much Asian tooling that is the size, but is cheap, so doesn't have "US/British/German/Swedish etc." steel quality, tempering, etc. All sold by local firms in the UK, so we don't know what we are getting. "You pays ya money and takes the bits". Most of Europe has been flooded with cheap stuff, because local industry has been closed by "costs" and "Regulation".
Sometimes Customs costs are the major item... so it needs research. I have considered getting stuff from USA via 3&@y, etc. , then found the US Postal shipping cost to be prohibitive - because the customs duty, fees & handling charges are big.
So "Check, Check, Check."... before you buy and ship?
K2
What's "prohibitive"? Try sending anything to the USA and avoiding customs then chances are it'll just "disappear". Sending to another EU country is one of the few things I like about the EU. No trouble, no hassle and no paperwork.

Sending by a recognized transport company makes life easier but it isn't cheap.

Buying from China for no other reason than "cheap" and chances are you will get rubbish. Same applies to buying cheap from any country.

When buying from and selling to another country try taking a good look at the exchange rate. To me the USD $ goes up and down and I'm sure Americans think the same about my currency.

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

Hi Threadman. You raise a good couple of points there. I should have thought more about what I was writing.
Yes of course I was talking of paying customs duty, as we should all do. (Like taxes). But there is a quirk. If something goes from country A to B, you pay one lot of customs. From A to C to B should be more customs duty. - But sometimes it is more, sometimes less.... I don't know why or how, but I have bought from the USA and paid less than direct from other sources, yet products didn't originate there. Probably the other thing you raise is the simple reason. Exchange rates.
I once booked a holiday cruise and hotels in Hawaii, using a local tourist agency there, for 2/3rds the cost of purchasing from UK agencies. And when we got there found we had paid less than most others (Who all seemed proud to have paid more than others... as if the cost of the holiday naturally makes it better?). They thought I must be cheating, or doing some tax fiddle, or something? - But I figured it was just monetary exchange rates, as Mastercard allowed me to buy in dollars and pay in £ sterling? Of course, that bill didn't incur customs "Import duty" nor shipping costs. And Maybe the US Travel agent was on a different commission to the UK agencies? But I saved a whole £1500 on that part of the holiday, 15 years ago.
By "prohibitive", I meant that compared to total cost of buying "at home", the "cheaper" parts from USA would have cost me in total more than double, because of the US Postal and Customs charges. The US postal service quoted it as a charge to handle the payment to UK customs, even though the Customs payment for import duty to the UK was a tiny fraction of the value they were charging against "Customs duty and charges". Maybe it was a real cost they were covering, but because of this charge, I chose to not pay anything and buy parts already in the UK. ($25 for the part, 20% Import duty to UK, 6% duty to US Gov't, and a UK part at £50 worked out cheaper than the $58 charge by US Postal service for "Customs", on top of the $20 transport cost).
I hope that clarifies the "prohibitive" charges I experienced...
K2

Hi Threadman. You raise a good couple of points there. I should have thought more about what I was writing.
Yes of course I was talking of paying customs duty, as we should all do. (Like taxes). But there is a quirk. If something goes from country A to B, you pay one lot of customs. From A to C to B should be more customs duty. - But sometimes it is more, sometimes less.... I don't know why or how, but I have bought from the USA and paid less than direct from other sources, yet products didn't originate there. Probably the other thing you raise is the simple reason. Exchange rates.
I once booked a holiday cruise and hotels in Hawaii, using a local tourist agency there, for 2/3rds the cost of purchasing from UK agencies. And when we got there found we had paid less than most others (Who all seemed proud to have paid more than others... as if the cost of the holiday naturally makes it better?). They thought I must be cheating, or doing some tax fiddle, or something? - But I figured it was just monetary exchange rates, as Mastercard allowed me to buy in dollars and pay in £ sterling? Of course, that bill didn't incur customs "Import duty" nor shipping costs. And Maybe the US Travel agent was on a different commission to the UK agencies? But I saved a whole £1500 on that part of the holiday, 15 years ago.
By "prohibitive", I meant that compared to total cost of buying "at home", the "cheaper" parts from USA would have cost me in total more than double, because of the US Postal and Customs charges. The US postal service quoted it as a charge to handle the payment to UK customs, even though the Customs payment for import duty to the UK was a tiny fraction of the value they were charging against "Customs duty and charges". Maybe it was a real cost they were covering, but because of this charge, I chose to not pay anything and buy parts already in the UK. ($25 for the part, 20% Import duty to UK, 6% duty to US Gov't, and a UK part at £50 worked out cheaper than the $58 charge by US Postal service for "Customs", on top of the $20 transport cost).
K2

Yes and no ☺ I knew a purchasing manager that was often praised for buying cheap. I never could understand that managemen never thought about how much he cost everybody else with extra inspection, assembly problems in production and customer complaints.

Buying "cheap" often costs more than people realise. The real issue is the total cost at the end of the day. I'm not saying buy expensive but more thought should be given to cost and time saved.

Many of my customers find fast delivery more important than the actual price. A stop in for example off shore oil costs a fortune.

Regarding Surveying.

My town is in a phase right now where they are trying to document everything. I talked to a surveyer who was working in my yard last year.

Everybody is using GPS now, so actual measurements are not what they used to be.

However, the guy in my yard gave me a long explanation of all the reasons why GPS doesn't work all the time (and he was a young guy, too.)

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back