CAD rendering of my sternwheeler engines and paddle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apointofview

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I wanted to share this flyaround video of my latest project. I had rotator cuff surgery December 10th and that has had me out of work and fairly useless around the house. I may get to go back to work in a week or two. During this time I decided to learn how to use Fusion 360. I figured my good arm could still work the mouse of my laptop. I wanted to document the engines I built so the challenge began. I made a lot of mistakes that had to be redone and lots of youtube instruction on how to use Fusion ! This CAD file is within a thou or two of the real engines and paddle. I haven't figured out how to animate the paddle and engines in the animation space and have all the movement around the engines at the same time. I have all the joints in place in the model space, but my laptop seems to only be able to handle a few of them at a time otherwise it just about locks up. I can run the paddle, pitman arms, connecting rods, and pistons nicely. The valve gear and can move like it should but the two groups together is too much I guess. Anyway this was a lot of fun and I hope I'll get faster and better at this program.
Pete

This is a link to the original build thread - https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/steam-engine-for-a-sternwheeler.22191/

Back