cad on mac osx

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCRIPPPer

Reaction score
i have a mac(macbook pro) osx and have started playing around with some cad for designing my projects. i dont have cnc, but it is nice to have a part designed and planned to make sure everything fits. so far i have found that P&PAD is the best (paper and pencil aided design). or AncientCAD (compass aided design) works good for lathe parts. i have tried freecad and google sketch up, because they are some of the only 3d cads that work on mac. freecad is almost unusable. there is no way to set diameters of circles, and there are no good geometry tools. alot of the tools are missing on the mac version or something, because i see utube videos of people who can actually make models with proper dimensions and that have more tools in the bar than i do.

google sketchup is ok, but it is annoying if you try to delete something, and the structure of your whole model falls apart. and the line based circles can be annoying when things want to stick to the facets.

i think if i could figure out how to get all of the tools in freecad, it would be ok. i am running .12 freecad because the newest version says "unstable"! freecad has potential to be pretty cool.

anyone else have MAD? (macintosh apple depression) ?

maybe i will just buy a REAL computer! then i can do all the things i want to, like cad, micro-controller programing ect...

sent from hardware that wont correctly run software.

Depressed ? no way !Get 2D/3D Viacad , I have had it running on a G4 , G5 and the latest version 8 on my core 2 duo and 10.8.5 , it is amazing value for 99 USD.

I'm using a macbook retina with vmware fusion. In vmware fusion I set up Windows 8 as a virtual machine. On this virtual machine I've Installed unigraphics NX 8.5 and Autodesk Inventor 2014. They're not very fast, but good enough for me.

When theres no chance to Install Windows on your Mac, I would recomend you to try Autodesk Inventor Fusion. You can find it in the Mac APP store, its free. Or have a look at the Autodesk 123D products.

Hope you understand what I mean, Im not that good in English...

Greetings

DraughtSight seems pretty good and it's free. I just can't get on with CAD software!

Back