Cabin Fever coming up soon!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really miss the old live auction format. It just isn't the same, and now that every lot has to be organized and numbered, you don't have the chance of getting a "treasure" from the tables full of "stuff from somebody's garage" as they bunch some of the stuff together under the flag for a bidder's choice. Much less exciting, much less fun, but on the other hand, probably a little better quality stuff. I understand the new format is COVID-friendly (fewer people bunching up looking at the current items bidding) and it makes it easy for more bidders to participate via remote, but doggone it really changes things. Still love to go, though!

I hope the exhibitors and vendors are still doing well and more come this year. Last year I thought there might have been fewer exhibitors, and a lot fewer vendors. I drive up from southern Virginia on Thursday for "the viewing," hit the auction Friday and take in as many of the exhibits as possible Saturday, all the while dropping cash on vendors as I scoop up tools and toys I "need" in my shop. This is always a signature event in my annual "hijab" to the various engine shows and swap meets I participate in. I hope it continues to be a premier event!

I'm with SteamChEng regarding the auctions. A few years ago there were huge amounts of stuff in boxes, all sorts interesting conglomerations in boxes, and some nice larger stuff as well. At least the consignment area is still in operation as before, where there are some deals to had most years.

Cheers,
Stan

I would encourage anyone who is within striking distance to attend. These shows are disappearing and should be enjoyed while they are here. I used to go to a number of shows within reasonable driving distance including NAMES. The Oregon show is gone, you cannot run your engines indoors at the CA venue. The Black Hills show survives.

When you enter the building and pay, go to the first exhibition hall on the left. We will be to the right of the doors, across from the Little Locos booth - they will have a banner up.
Hope to see some of you soon!
Scott

The Cabin Fever Show will be January 13th and 14th - hope to see some of you there.
I just finished some new plugs for my engines. The biggest ones are M10 x 1.25, and the smallest is 10-32.
I used a lot of magnifiers!
Scott
I have made reservations at the Holiday Inn Express in Lebanon. Expedia had a good price for two nights. Only 12 minutes away from the Expo center. I will be bringing a few of my engines. Just found out that Reed Martin will not be able to attend due to health reasons. I will miss seeing his vast collection of Elmer Wall engines and amazing range of Brown Junior model airplane engines. I guess they are letting exhibitors set up starting 3PM on Thursday afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_1464.JPG
    IMG_1464.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Wall Water Witch side.JPG
    Wall Water Witch side.JPG
    681.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Looking forward to seeing everyone! Same as last year, we have opened up for set up on Thursday at 3PM to 7PM and for auction previews.
Don't forget the auctions as well - Onine Only Bidding like last year however there is free wifi and we can assist with single item bids as needed. Lots of great items in the sales. A huge amount of books, railroadiana, and toys in addition to some nice tools, machines, etc.

Cabin Fever Auctions

Also in the Friday Morning Session - Debolt models engine patterns and goods to go in "business" with castings kits are being offered. Not something you have a chance for everyday and well known models that have not been avilabe for some time!

As usual, any questions, please reach out. Safe travels everyone and see you soon!

Jared

I am planning on it. I'll be driving from Grand Rapids, MI. early Thursday. I'm hoping to bring a few more models than last year. Only my third Cabin Fever so I'll be spending a lot of time walking around but please say hello! I got my Howell V-Twin running quite well so hopefully it behaves during the show. My engines seem to get stage fright. Cheers!

My purchases:

20230113-14 Cabin Fever.jpg

Starrett:
  • #224AA 0"—4" Interchangeable Anvil Micrometer (needs a new ratchet, but otherwise excellent condition)
  • #815 Toolmakers Hammer (needs a lens & retainer, but was only $10)
  • #196B1 Universal Back Plunger Indicator (NIB)
  • #104 Speed Indicator (NOS; was hidden in the "NOS STARRETT BOX," along with an Alling & Cory Co. 1/2" Micrometer – promotional item for checking A&C paper products? [Alling & Cory])
  • #771 Last Word ("STARRETT GLASS SQUARE INDICATOR"??)

Odds & Ends:
  • 1-1/4" x 3" x 10" hunk of Micarta™ (linen or cotton, definitely thin woven cloth: fiberglass would not be woven, just cross-laminated).
  • 2 sets of large-hole 1-2-3 blocks.
  • 2 pair of pre-dinged parallels; why get shiny new ones? Let someone else break a drill bit/end mill.
  • 2"Ø x 2-5/8" tall bench block (chamfered & ground drop from a Thomson shaft).
  • Handful of new & like-new pillar (narrow with safe edges) files (Vigor, Nicholson, Hayes, CNCO(?), Heller Bros) and a Simonds Style 2 (die file?).
  • 3/$1 miscellaneous punches.
  • And a gift for my wife: a shop-made carving mallet

All in excellent to new condition, things I can (and will) use and which were obtained at very good prices.

Reactions: Zeb

Latest posts

Back