buying tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I know, I know, I know,

Canada

Sorry I couldn't resist

:hDe:

Dave

it dosnt matter if its canada or the usa ,I was just wontering where everyone buys thier stuff thats all.

Well...I'll get the ball rolling by posting a link that you might find helpful. I'm not Canadian but I pay Canada taxes, I love Canada and spend my summers near Algonquin Park in the Madawaska Valley.

Busy Bee

http://www.busybeetools.com/

Edit; E-bay Canada is another good source.

I buy most of my stuff 'on-line' from E-bay sellers, Enco, and MSC.

-MB

Depends on what tools you want to buy!

Busy bee for the chinese stuff.
Lee Valley for Taig stuff
Princess Auto for more Chinese stuff.
ebay for general tools and good deals.
Kijiji is another great place to watch everyday for deals.
Craigslist Toronto has a few items although not very...

Atlas Machinery in Toronto sells Sherline tools.
Garant Machinery in Quebec sells tools.
KBC tools
KMS tools

I think i have run out of places for now!!

Hope this helps!!

Andrew

I have made a purchase from Travers Canada. They are in Quebec.
John

Not knowing where you live, it is hard to recommend particular suppliers. When I want high quality items like machine screw taps, I go to any one of the local machine tool dealers. I buy from Enco and MSC in the US if it can be shipped USPS to avoid brokerage fees. My personal opinion of the quality and price at both BusyBee and Princess is not very high. They also have a very limited selection.

ebay is a good source if you can find sellers who will ship to Canada via USPS. eg: I just had a 6x6x4 box delivered to my mail box for $3.85 shipping cost. I also had a seller send me a 4 jaw chuck in a bubble bag for $9.00 shipping cost. Some people recommend KBC Canada but when I checked their Canadian prices were much higher than their US prices.

On other alternative, if you want Chinese stuff, is to order direct from Hong Kong dealers.

I buy my tool bits from my local indurstial supplier in town. Prices are pretty good. I bought a complete set of Model engineer taps from Ebay Aus, shipping I think was only $20. I work 30 min from the border, so I usually ship stuff to the local border store. Most US places have free shipping to the lower 48, so that saves a bunch.
Other than that, what everyone else said.
Bryan

Canadian Tire - wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. - hand tools, some power tools - lifetime warranty

Princess Auto - chinese stuff, also has a surplus area

TSC - chinese stuff

EBay - 99% is auctions. Buy at the last 10 seconds. Get most stuff for under $5 depending what it is. Usually only look for sellers willing to combine shipping and ship USPS to avoid brokerage fees. Also, once you buy one item, see what else they have since you'll likely be paying for the flat rate box anyways. Great way to buy HSS/Carbide/Ceramic/??? inserts - then make the holder to suit.

Travers - new tooling - chinese, european, usa

Andrew

I'm Canadian but for quality tooling I order from MSC or Enco from the U.S. It's cheaper. I will not order from KBC in Canada as their a lot higher in prices for most things. It's not worth just ordering a few small items tho, It's better to save up and make a larger order. That helps a lot with the brokerage costs.

Pete

I'm in Windsor, Ontario. I order from e-Bay for most of it.
MariTool in the States for specific cutters (They make them then ship USPS)
www.maritool.com

If you can get them to ship USPS to Canada then there is no duty or tax.

As far as local. If I need it now KBC is ok but expensive so I go to Windsor Factory supply most of the time.

In addition to those places already mentioned:

CDCO will ship to Canada in flat rate boxes and their sale prices are excellent. I just got a QCTP from them on sale.

I got my SX3 from Machine tools warehouse: https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.com/xcart/home.php

and then there is Accusize. I don't remember how I found them, and they do not have a web store, but send an email to David ([email protected]) and ask him to email his latest catalog and current Toronto inventory. He travels a good deal but always responds to email. I have sent requests for things not in his catalog and he has been able to source them for me. He emails a quote and I pay by paypal. Shipping has always been fast and inexpensive. I got a nice set of metric drills from him this way. As always, sometimes his prices are good - sometimes not so good. I've had good results from them.

For some things I order from Fastenal. I have a local store and although they stock almost nothing that I want, they will get most anything in a couple of days - including some metals.

Lately I have had to cancel orders I placed with Busybee because their online ordering system does not check stock. Some items have been back ordered for months.

I'm not associated with any of these companies - etc etc.

Latest posts

Back