Buying short lengths of Steel in the UK.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnak

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can order short lengths of Steel in the UK? ???

I need about 6" of 3" dia steel for a chuck spindle adaptor to make my ER32 collet holder.

Preferably through mail order as I live in South Wales. :p

Noggin Ends don't go up to that size and the cost of a metre is prohibitive especially with the postage. :(

Thanks,

Arnak
Arnak

Arnak said:
Hi,

I need about 6" of 3" dia steel for a chuck spindle adaptor to make my ER32 collet holder.

Preferably through mail order as I live in South Wales. :p

Thanks,

Arnak
Arnak

6" ?? sure it's not ER132 ?
Pity you live in Sarf Wales or you could have had a sort out thru the short ends box.

Just weighed in 1/4 of a tonne of short small bar ends, been kicking around for just too long.

John S.

Hi Stuart,

Great, thanks for those links. ;D

Hi John,

I need the extra length as you surely don't expect me to get it right the time do you ??? :big:

Arnak

Arnak,

Try Joe at Maccmodels.co.uk He does 3 in steel diameters by the inch via mail order.

Service is pretty good..
Usual disclaimer, just a satisfied customer

Hi John,

Thanks for that, I'll have a look. ;D

Arnak

Hi Arnak,
Had you thought to look in your local Yellow Pages? Look for steel stockholders and you might be surprised to find one nearby and save postage fees.
Just because you are a "Model Engineer" it does not mean that you have to use "model engineer" suppliers and pay over the odds for your materials.
Ned
As an after thought, you could try a local engineering company who might be more than willing to chop off a length for little more than a contribution to the "coffee fund"

Hi Nedd,

Yeah, thanks.

I'll have another look as I did try last year but I am in the depths of Wales and with the recession there don't seem to be many local firms left. :(

At one time there was one just up the road but it closed, I'll have another look as that would be the best way to get it.

Arnak

Hi Arnack,I get all my steel from www.plhillsales.com and I an sure he does your size. His prices and very good and no minimum order. I have no connection to him I am just a very satisfied customer.
regards
mike

Hi sailorsam,

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look at his site. ;D

Arnak

If you don't mind swimming the Bristol Channel then EKP are not far from South Wales, I use them quite a lot particularly for fixings.

J

Hi Jason,

Hmmm... now where did I put my swim suit? ;D

Maybe once the weather warms up a bit. :D

Thanks,

Arnak

Back