• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Buying a lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I bought a Warco UK, Chinese WM 280 variable speed lathe and stand a few years ago which I was very impressed with, it was to replace an old Boxford CSB which was destroyed in a disastrous workshop fire some years ago. However I decided that it was a bit ott for my needs so I sold it and bought a used Boxford CUD to replace it (which I converted to a BUD by adding a Model B apron and cross slide screw which I had lying around). The guy I bought it from had aquired it from a school in order to get hold of a load of tool holders for the Dickson QC toolpost on an existing Boxford he owned.

The machine I bought, a MK II - 10" throw, is in excellent condition (top gear change lever had been doctored so that little fingers couldn't damage the thing) it came with a bare Dickson toolpost for which I already had several holders, faceplate, chucks, full Boxford gear set, original documentation including test report and "Know Your Lathe" book and a Boxford collet system etc. All for £350 just a couple of years ago. It was 3 phase with original wiring so I just added an inverter and I was set up.

I just say this to show that there are bargains out there if you are patient. In the UK I would always look for an ex school lathe, althoUgh there may be cosmetic damage there is likely to be little wear. In my experience in a few schools the machines weer only used for a few hours a week usually by older pupils and after the introduction of the National Curriculum and the 'Design Technology' courses the machine shops were hardly ever used as many new staff had little experience or confidence in using or teaching the use of machine tools.

In the late 1980s I saw a machine shop and craft department stripped of it's machine tools as the LEA (local Education Authority) 'Subject Inspector' told the Headmaster that the use of those machines was obsolete with these new courses. The main machine shop had Colchester and Boxford lathes, Tom Senior milling machines all with an incredible amount of tooling as well as a Bridgeport, plus precision drilling machines and surface plates etc there was also a complete blacksmiths forge with anvils, tools and at least one fly press and excellent foundry equiment as well as numerous hand tools and marking out and measuring tools. The rest of the department had several Boxford lathes and there was a total of 45 Record 4 or 5" Bench vices. The Headmaster sold the lot for £1000.00 yes one thousand pounds so that the school could buy an extra Amstrad computer which was obsolete in a couple of years.

I am still angry about it now but was powerless at the time.

TerryD

I seen some copies lathes that China has copy above 13" swing.
But if looking for 9 or 10" swing lathe like the Logan or South Bend Lathes they just do not copy. They just come up with lower grade lathe and no back gear or quick change. They was some around but not here now

Dave

Hi,

I bought a Warco UK, Chinese WM 280 variable speed lathe and stand a few years ago which I was very impressed with, it was to replace an old Boxford CSB which was destroyed in a disastrous workshop fire some years ago. However I decided that it was a bit ott for my needs so I sold it and bought a used Boxford CUD to replace it (which I converted to a BUD by adding a Model B apron and cross slide screw which I had lying around). The guy I bought it from had aquired it from a school in order to get hold of a load of tool holders for the Dickson QC toolpost on an existing Boxford he owned.

The machine I bought, a MK II - 10" throw, is in excellent condition (top gear change lever had been doctored so that little fingers couldn't damage the thing) it came with a bare Dickson toolpost for which I already had several holders, faceplate, chucks, full Boxford gear set, original documentation including test report and "Know Your Lathe" book and a Boxford collet system etc. All for £350 just a couple of years ago. It was 3 phase with original wiring so I just added an inverter and I was set up.

I just say this to show that there are bargains out there if you are patient. In the UK I would always look for an ex school lathe, althoUgh there may be cosmetic damage there is likely to be little wear. In my experience in a few schools the machines weer only used for a few hours a week usually by older pupils and after the introduction of the National Curriculum and the 'Design Technology' courses the machine shops were hardly ever used as many new staff had little experience or confidence in using or teaching the use of machine tools.

In the late 1980s I saw a machine shop and craft department stripped of it's machine tools as the LEA (local Education Authority) 'Subject Inspector' told the Headmaster that the use of those machines was obsolete with these new courses. The main machine shop had Colchester and Boxford lathes, Tom Senior milling machines all with an incredible amount of tooling as well as a Bridgeport, plus precision drilling machines and surface plates etc there was also a complete blacksmiths forge with anvils, tools and at least one fly press and excellent foundry equiment as well as numerous hand tools and marking out and measuring tools. The rest of the department had several Boxford lathes and there was a total of 45 Record 4 or 5" Bench vices. The Headmaster sold the lot for £1000.00 yes one thousand pounds so that the school could buy an extra Amstrad computer which was obsolete in a couple of years.

I am still angry about it now but was powerless at the time.

TerryD

What you maybe don't know is the whole lot was probably sold consciously to someone who turned around and sold the machines separately and made a small fortune. I can name dozens of times that this stuff has happened that I know of. It's disgusting, it's fraud, it's bribery and a lot worse.

Well, the latest price for a used Myford Super7B with power cross :pfeed with stand and no tooling apart from the odd faceplate etc is------------£5340:p---- and 'they' will POST it abroad.

So I'm feeling rather pleased with mine.

So , with recommendations from my kids and good , I have spend something on myself.
So the DRO is assembled and working---- when I can understand it. Bought a couple of precision drill chucks- and fitted the soft jaws to my ex-Sieg4 SC4 one after converting it to fit a Myford faceplate- using a home made small GHT dividing head. Quite a few sessions which took me away from drinking:D

So the next thing perhaps is a ( the late and lamented) John Stevenson- spin indexer which had me intrigued as it takes ER32 and 5C collets. True it is an old concept ( like me) but being able swop tooling is a challenge and different.
Apart from JCSteam going to pop in for an Enox top slide to convert to a fixed vertical slide on his little son's baby Adept- and a little 4 jaw as a spare-- things have been quite uneventful.

Oh yes, some freebies for BaronJ as I doubt sending flowers is not a thing for a Yorkshireman.

I remember walking into a used machinery dealer here in Seattle, WA. 30 years ago and seeing a used Myford lathe complete with milling attachment and a huge amount of additional tooling. The price tag was $350.00 US. I had no idea at the time what I was looking at and passed it up for a somewhat larger machine for $1200.00. After a few years of cursing and fighting the larger machine, I wished I'd have bought the Myford.

There is to big.
I have own lathes that weighed over 44,000 pounds.
Just run that lathe making a small engine or better watch parts. It did have a 12.5" [317mm] hole and a 32" [813.8mm] three jaw Chuck. If remember the carriage weight was 6,500 pounds. It was some much fun to run.

Today I have a 9" South Bend Lathe with 5" 3 jaw Chuck it has weight of 700 pounds. A lot better size.

Dave

I remember walking into a used machinery dealer here in Seattle, WA. 30 years ago and seeing a used Myford lathe complete with milling attachment and a huge amount of additional tooling. The price tag was $350.00 US. I had no idea at the time what I was looking at and passed it up for a somewhat larger machine for $1200.00. After a few years of cursing and fighting the larger machine, I wished I'd have bought the Myford.

Well, the latest price for a used Myford Super7B with power cross :pfeed with stand and no tooling apart from the odd faceplate etc is------------£5340:p---- and 'they' will POST it abroad.

So I'm feeling rather pleased with mine.

So , with recommendations from my kids and good , I have spend something on myself.
So the DRO is assembled and working---- when I can understand it. Bought a couple of precision drill chucks- and fitted the soft jaws to my ex-Sieg4 SC4 one after converting it to fit a Myford faceplate- using a home made small GHT dividing head. Quite a few sessions which took me away from drinking:D

So the next thing perhaps is a ( the late and lamented) John Stevenson- spin indexer which had me intrigued as it takes ER32 and 5C collets. True it is an old concept ( like me) but being able swop tooling is a challenge and different.
Apart from JCSteam going to pop in for an Enox top slide to convert to a fixed vertical slide on his little son's baby Adept- and a little 4 jaw as a spare-- things have been quite uneventful.

Oh yes, some freebies for BaronJ as I doubt sending flowers is not a thing for a Yorkshireman.

Hi Goldstar,

These ML Super 7Bs are not just 'second hand' lathes they are fully refurbished according to the New Myford website. Their refurbish program includes strip down, bed regrind, new bearings, repaint etc etc and includes a new Pratt Burnerd 3 jaw chuck on backplate and a Dickson QC toolpost according to their description of the process. They also claim that the machine is to the same condition as when it originally left the factory. To call it simply 'second hand' is a bit of a misnomer.

https://www.myford.co.uk/acatalog/Our-Refurbishment-Process.html
TerryD

Actually, I HAVE seen two. After my wife died 5 years ago my kind solicitor she persuaded me/ almost forced me to go down to the Exhibition at Ally Pally in London. I'd been through Hell and back with an awkward stockbroker who flung the book at me. I'd just come out of having no money- and then made sole executor, sole executor, survivor in Scots Law, Enduring Powers of Attorney and house sales in Scotland and abroad and I'd gone into the start of the 7 Year Rule for my grandchildren-- and needed a break before something nasty happened to my health. She knew that I'd been a Goldstar and involved in 'what Alexandra Palace really did'

So I ended up in my old grim haunts and haunted memories.

I saw the two reconditioned Myfords on the RDG Stand as something to see and walk past.

So as a Goldstar, my first free money was arrange with the Royal British Legion the seat - in my wife's name in memory of her father and the rest of the Squadron in front of the Royal Air Force 31 ( The Goldstars) Squadron memorial at the National Arboretum.

So I don't have a reconditioned Myford, I have one-- still rather expensive- almost unused one with a gearbox and power crossfeed-- and simply added all my goodies which were salvaged when I abandoned when the roof of my workshop came off in the winter storms- when I had more important things on my mind.

Cheers

Norman

My first lathe is a Denford Viceroy which took me years to find. The link shows the rebuild and projects I have completed (others have posted here as well).

Dazz

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back