• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Buying a lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The South Bend Lathes are very good. I own 5 South Bend Lathes Eve time sell one I then few years late replace.
I have own 9A , 10K and 16"
Today in retirement I have 9A purchased in 2004.
If need a manual let know.

I also have from South Bend Lathe new books how-to run lathe. I purchased by box for my shop employees and still a few left.

Dave

I see that you are on line right now, I sent you what I thimk is a private message, but not sure how that works. did you get my message?

The South Bend Lathes are very good. I own 5 South Bend Lathes Eve time sell one I then few years late replace.
I have own 9A , 10K and 16"
Today in retirement I have 9A purchased in 2004.
If need a manual let know.

I also have from South Bend Lathe new books how-to run lathe. I purchased by box for my shop employees and still a few left.

Dave
Yes, I am definitely after a manual. I see you live in Clovis, CA? That is reasonably closer than LA which is where I origianally thot it was in. Can you tell me about what it is you are selling? Jusst to be sure, I am having problems with work--it is on again off again, never knowing what, why or how. I thimk "corn" should go into late September or even October, but the company never tells anyone anything. I have a line on one in Seattle area which I will probably buy but if that falls thru, I'd like to know more about what you have.
Thanx,
don

The manuals are free just down load from
https://groups.io/g/SouthBendLathe9/topics.
If do not see what you want just let my. I might not uploaded to site .
The closed the Yahoo groups where closed last year and everything was moved.

The How to Run a Lathe I have $20.00 each plus shipping or pick-up is free.
The shipping is FedEx and include cost of picking from my home @ 93612.

Dave

Yes, I am definitely after a manual. I see you live in Clovis, CA? That is reasonably closer than LA which is where I origianally thot it was in. Can you tell me about what it is you are selling? Jusst to be sure, I am having problems with work--it is on again off again, never knowing what, why or how. I thimk "corn" should go into late September or even October, but the company never tells anyone anything. I have a line on one in Seattle area which I will probably buy but if that falls thru, I'd like to know more about what you have.
Thanx,
don

The manuals are free just down load from
https://groups.io/g/SouthBendLathe9/topics.
If do not see what you want just let my. I might not uploaded to site .
The closed the Yahoo groups where closed last year and everything was moved.

The How to Run a Lathe I have $20.00 each plus shipping or pick-up is free.
The shipping is FedEx and include cost of picking from my home @ 93612.

Dave
Excuse me, I meant manual lathe not a manual for the lathe. My mistake, Don

I used to be in the custom woodworking business and I purchased a number of larger Grizzly machines and was never dissatisfied with quality or performance. I now have given up the wood business to tinker with metal stuff. Less dust and quieter for the basement, and doesn't take as much space. I have a Grizzly G0704 mill that I bought 2 yr ago and so far it is doing well. I am learning as I go (this group helps me immensely, thank you all). I searched for about 3 years for a lathe that was good enough and fit my budget and ended up last year with a Logan 400 (too small for Richard Hed's needs) that had almost no wear and was stored well. The old guy had bought it new for his home shop and now was downsizing and wanted it to go to a good home. I drove 225 miles and bought it for $650 with some tooling and including the original cast iron legs. There are options to get good affordable equipment if you are persistent and patient.

BTW - I like dnalots reference to "Bat blood and bug spit". I had not heard that since I was a youngster and my grandfather used to use it, referring to whatever was relevant and the time. Thanks for the memory.

Initially, Myford 'made' long bed lathes. Again, the new Myford firm which took over will either sell reconditioned Super7's and also sell what are essentially new lathes-----all at a horrendous price.
You could be thinking of £8000 excluding anything.

Maybe a fairly new Super 7 with gear box and power cross feed--------as a tax free investment or something to enjoy - rather like having a Rolls Royce or a vintage Mercedes Sports car- which once the normal depreciation applies actually increase in price.

Surprisingly, original Myford ML7's were- wait for it-- £25 with a motor and faceplate etc.
One of my friends got one as an appr entice- now in his mid seventies- is still enjoying it.
He used to make precision instruments= perhaps he he w as and is a clever investor.
He's still got a couple of classic Triumph cars and classic sailing dinghies.

His wife - following what my late wife did- collects musical instruments. Come to think of it, there are a lot of nice old 'dragons' doing such things.
Worth a thought or two

Hi,

According to Lathes.co.uk and the 'New' Myford website the ML7 cost £34 without a motor when introduced in 1946. In that year the average wage for a skilled worker was just over £4 per week. So the lathe cost about 8 weeks pay plus a motor. That works out to about £4000.00 at todays averages.

Refurbished basic Myford Super 7 lathes UK are priced at £2495 plus Vat on the 'New' Myford website (so approx £3000.00), the equivalent of 7 weeks pay at average wages and the later one with powered cross slide and screwcutting gearbox is £6418 inc vat. Not sure how much these cost when introduced, but I supect they cost considerably more than the ML7.

https://www.myford.co.uk/#
TerryD

I purchased a Smithy Granite XT Max 1340 in January this year. The HF 9x20 it replaced is 15 years old and I pushed it beyond its capacity more time than I remember. The Smithy is a mill/lathe combo and has met all of my needs. Didn't think a combo unit would work for me, but I am not complaining about the capacity, quality, and support. Like anything else, there are a few things that could be improved upon. Give it a look.

I understand what you're saying, but not the point as to how it is relevant to what I had to say. This was not a 'moan' at all. It's a statement about inflation, war and food prices.
Poverty IS about food prices. Poverty IS about children going barefoot. I was a bit luckier but not much.

As the years go on, I wonder whether the views of others has much value. I bought my lathe without a thought of some character sticking his head over the
Hi,

According to Lathes.co.uk and the 'New' Myford website the ML7 cost £34 without a motor when introduced in 1946. In that year the average wage for a skilled worker was just over £4 per week. So the lathe cost about 8 weeks pay plus a motor. That works out to about £4000.00 at todays averages.

Refurbished basic Myford Super 7 lathes UK are priced at £2495 plus Vat on the 'New' Myford website (so approx £3000.00), the equivalent of 7 weeks pay at average wages and the later one with powered cross slide and screwcutting gearbox is £6418 inc vat. Not sure how much these cost when introduced, but I supect they cost considerably more than the ML7.

TerryD

I was16 in 1946 and recall the shop window of Henry Osborne's in Percy Street, Newcastle upon Tyne - quite vividly. I recall on the opposite side of the street that they were selling whalemeat from --obviously the Southern Venturer and the Souther Harvester. Again, I recall a scissor firm opposite and further towards the Haymarket, the motor cycle shop.
Whether there are any other old geysers = apart from Roger in Bath is another story.
Again, I can recall a British Restaraunt next to where Charlie Lutman's Dad had the Model Shop.

I can also have a clear recollection of the Bronze Age skeleton which was in a glass fronted ciste- that some made ex Forces University undergrad had inserted a half drunk bottle of milk and a bite out of a digestive biscuit.

I've just written to the Archive section of the City Council about the broken statue of Garibaldi- the Italian Freemason- and also a flippant remark about the Blaydon Races NOT being held in Blaydon.

I wish the rest of me was as fit as my memory.

I recall with interest the Doodle bug on show in the City Baths and the electron microscope which were still covered a being used as a drill hall.

And then 2 years later I went into 'battle dress'- hence the Goldstar31 of RAF 31 ( The Goldstars) Squadron.

Poverty IS about food prices. Poverty IS about children going barefoot. I was a bit luckier but not much.

As the years go on, I wonder whether the views of others has much value. I bought my lathe without a thought of some character sticking his head over the

I was16 in 1946 and recall the shop window of Henry Osborne's in Percy Street, Newcastle upon Tyne - quite vividly. I recall on the opposite side of the street that they were selling whalemeat from --obviously the Southern Venturer and the Souther Harvester. Again, I recall a scissor firm opposite and further towards the Haymarket, the motor cycle shop.
Whether there are any other old geysers = apart from Roger in Bath is another story.
Again, I can recall a British Restaraunt next to where Charlie Lutman's Dad had the Model Shop.

I can also have a clear recollection of the Bronze Age skeleton which was in a glass fronted ciste- that some made ex Forces University undergrad had inserted a half drunk bottle of milk and a bite out of a digestive biscuit.

I've just written to the Archive section of the City Council about the broken statue of Garibaldi- the Italian Freemason- and also a flippant remark about the Blaydon Races NOT being held in Blaydon.

I wish the rest of me was as fit as my memory.

I recall with interest the Doodle bug on show in the City Baths and the electron microscope which were still covered a being used as a drill hall.

And then 2 years later I went into 'battle dress'- hence the Goldstar31 of RAF 31 ( The Goldstars) Squadron.
You should tell more of these things. Can I ask you, do you recall about murders, crime, weddings, church? You said you were in the coal at 14--how did you escape that?

BTW, in ancient Athens, the oldsters bemoaned the fact that youngssters wouldn't listen to them, were going way off with morality, refused to worship the proper gods, and worst of all, they were following Socrates around and listening to his corrupting talk. Yet nearly 2,500 years later, here we are: bemoaning our children for the same thing!

Hi,

TerryD
Ah, thankyew for that. I considerably underestimated the amount.

After Matriculation in December 1946, I started work for £1. 16 shillings and 5 pence. NOT, an apprentice's wage either. By 1948, I was conscripted on 4 shillings a week out ofv which I had to buy cleaning materials and by 1949, I was earning 9 shillings a day- 3 guineas a wee which was MORE than my father was getting as a top grade blacksmith.;)

Considerably over estimated! I started work in January 1947 on n£1.16.9pencw my father was a top blacksmith on nabob £2 50 pence. In 1949, I was a top NCO in the RAF for £3.30-- and paid tax on it.

Where DO you get YOUR figures from?

After Matriculation in December 1946, I started work for £1. 16 shillings and 5 pence. NOT, an apprentice's wage either. By 1948, I was conscripted on 4 shillings a week out ofv which I had to buy cleaning materials and by 1949, I was earning 9 shillings a day- 3 guineas a wee which was MORE than my father was getting as a top grade blacksmith.;)

Considerably over estimated! I started work in January 1947 on n£1.16.9pencw my father was a top blacksmith on nabob £2 50 pence. In 1949, I was a top NCO in the RAF for £3.30-- and paid tax on it.

Where DO you get YOUR figures from?
Put on your glasses! I said UNDERestimated. I underestimated the inflation for 25 pounds.

Put on your glasses! I said UNDERestimated. I underestimated the inflation for 25 pounds.
I have wet macular degeneration in one eye and wet in the other- which supposed to be normal for my age of 90.
I have, a rather new-ish Myford Super7 B PXF which I believe is more than most.;)

When JCSteam collected the castings for the Quorn for Baron J he got a very worn copy of G H Thomas's Model Engineers Workshop Manual.
Fine, he has now e- mailed me as his 4 year old son has also collected a little Adept lathe from Jon's wife's parents.
I had a similar Enox- i the dim and distant past.

So Jon

If my memory is holding out the name for the little Adept is 'J.Latta' in Model Engineer.

I hope that the little fellow has great fun. Fantastic

Last edited:
If have a lot the other South Bend Lathes and mills manuels too.
Just need to download

Dave

Excuse me, I meant manual lathe not a manual for the lathe. My mistake, Don

Last edited:
Hi,

As Norman said I was donated an adept lathe which currently runs terribly, but I'm fairly confident with a tickle here and there it'll be made to run nice.

Quite simply when you buy a lathe, and particularly goes for a Brand New out the box lathe from the dealer/manufacturer. Make sure it will do what you want it to do not just now but in 20years 30 years down the line. Go for the biggest you have capacity for, and feel comfortable in operating. Yes things may change in the future, but a Brand New lathe will be as good as you treat it. I know two people now that have bought a myford direct from manufacturer. Both these lathes have been bought with the intention of them been NICE things to have as opposed to workhorses. My friend Graham bought his before myford changed hands, and was a large investment for him. But it is mollycoddled. He has a large Colchester to do the brute of the work, then switches to the myford for final skimming and fine accurate cuts. Only ever taking upto a 1/4 of the depth of cut the myford is capable of.

Last but not least, whatever you buy make sure you will keep a smile on your face for the rest of the time you own it.....even if you scrap a part..🙄.....because it's a pretty item that brings you happiness in its use not just a means to an end.
Jon

Attachments

• 20200825_112641.jpg
    20200825_112641.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 229
It's a different consideration for many of us. For all sorts of reasons, installing a larger and professional lathe in town situation where people can resent such things. Fine for a their factory down the road but amongst their precious ' little English Castle- which is probably mortgaged to the portcullis, it is simply not on.
As JC Steam has found out where I live, a quick check on such things as Zoopla will reveal that the mid price is half a million pounds- and that is the conservative mid point. A bungalow- the only bungalow with four bedrooms and four lawns- is in another league:)

One parks one's two or more cars on the drive-------and keeps one's worthless rubbish in the single garage.

It is little matter when others are discussing whether a lathe cost £25 at Henry Osbornne's ;omg gone shop in Percy Street , Newcastle upon Tyne or £3000 from the RDG stall on Doncaster Race Course.
It's a piffling insignificant matter- compared to the mortgage left to pay in God's own time or the two cars which are really owned by finance companies. Me, with tongue in cheek, realise that it was all a colliery and then--- a lunatic asylum.

So NO to Colchester- which were the scene of a terrifying military detention barracks. Have no fear, I've been. Took a prisoner there- poor fellow!

I have a very good memory, it's the rest that is falling to bits

Latest posts

Back