But what does it do?!?!? (Bring it on...)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The year is 2019 and it's time for a continuation of stupid things run my miniature engines.

This season it's a home made spin art machine powered by my recently completed double acting V-Twin steam engine...

When I first started building engines they did nothing but run. I decide if it cannot be used for something useful then way build it. My 1.5" bore x 2" stoke steam engine turns a 24" fan blade so fast it is dangerous. It produces a tornado or air that stirs up a dust that will choke a person to death. So I started building hot air engine fans that keep me cool in summer and circulate heat from wood stove in winter in the workshop. Then I built rocket engines and jet engines. One of the rocket engines came loose and went all the way through the building wall. Good thing garage door was open when I fired up larger rocket engine work bench took off out the door and down the driveway. Then I built several pulse jets they are good on model airplane at 300 mph. Today I built electric circuit for electronic spy listening device I can hear people talking 1/2 mile away they sound like they are standing right next to me. I guess if it is fun to build FUN is all that matters.

What does it do? It occupies my time, it stimulates my mind, it challenges me to do things beyond my comfort zone, it teaches me patience, it teaches me history. It is a hobby just like wood craft, painting, music, or many of the other things do that is only of value to them. This model is the product of my artistic talents, of little to no value to those who do not understand. The value is in the journey, not the destination.

lg
no neat sig line

Easy....just I am not sad....lol

Lyrics
I belong, a long way from here
I put on a poncho and played for mosquitoes
And drank 'till I was thirsty again
We went searching, through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's cursive pen
Well, okay, I made this up
I promise you I'd never give up

If it makes you happy
It can't be that bad
If it makes you happy
Then why the hell are you so sad?

Get down, real low down
You listen to Coltrane, derail your own train
Well, who hasn't been there before?
I come 'round, around the hard way
Bring you comics in bed
Scrape the mold off the bread
And serve you french toast again
Okay, I still get stoned
I'm not the kind of girl you'd take home

If it makes you happy
It can't be that bad
If it makes you happy

If it makes you happy
It can't be that bad
If it makes you happy

We've been far, far away from here
I put on a poncho and played for mosquitoes
And everywhere in between
Well, okay, we get along
So what if right now, everything's wrong?

If it makes you happy
It can't be that bad
If it makes you happy

If it makes you happy
It can't be that bad
If it makes you happy

You're close with this may be the world's most powerful pencil sharpener

Steam powered pizza cutter at the Cabin Fever show.
thumbnail-3.jpg

I will add to this thread with a grain wagon that I built for my model Rumely tractor.
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG

It has what we used to call on the farm "bang boards" that were used to increase the capacity of the wagon. It also has removable tail gate boards in the rear.

It is a little larger than scale size to the tractor but I think it will be alright.
IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

And a short video.

Thanks for looking

Ray

My most recent engine build will go in an RC aircraft.
Many years ago, when my middle son was a teen-ager, he expressed an interest in making something in my workshop.
I purchased the castings kit for a small oscillating engine, which we built together.
It occurred to me that it would only ever gather dust, so I had to come up with a purpose for it.
The engine is now mounted with a small PMR vertical boiler and a dynamo.
The dynamo is connected to a 5v regulator and a USB socket, so he can charge his MP3 player with it.
If he wants to charge his phone, it will need upgrading with a water tank and feed pump.

Latest posts

Back