Burgess BK2 Bandsaw questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark-V

Reaction score
Hi all, some questions for anyone who has one of these bandsaws.

Changing the speed - BK3 manual shows two different wheels and belts however it seems that the BK2 would use the same wheel (but two different belts) to change the speed. Is this correct

Does the high speed wheel (or in fact any of the three wheels) have tyres ?
(Mine is the high speed setup)

Does anyone have a manual for the BK2 ?

I bought mine from a friend about 30 years ago and have used it quite a bit but never bothered to figure out what speed it is or how to change it until now and always wondered if it had or needs tyres. Have just replaced the drive belt on the vacuum cleaner and on a hunch checked them and with a bit of a stretch they fit perfectly for tyres.

Wondering what change or benefit there would be in fitting them (other than possibly making it a bit quieter) ?

Mark

Changing the speed - BK3 manual shows two different wheels and belts however it seems that the BK2 would use the same wheel (but two different belts) to change the speed. Is this correct

Does the high speed wheel (or in fact any of the three wheels) have tyres ?
(Mine is the high speed setup)

I bought mine from a friend about 30 years ago and have used it quite a bit but never bothered to figure out what speed it is or how to change it until now and always wondered if it had or needs tyres. Have just replaced the drive belt on the vacuum cleaner and on a hunch checked them and with a bit of a stretch they fit perfectly for tyres.

Wondering what change or benefit there would be in fitting them (other than possibly making it a bit quieter) ?

Mark
A photo would help

Dave

Mark

I doubt that there was ever a manual, Like so many tools of yesteryear, it was assumed that the purchsder knew what he was about.
I had one and when it wore out, I gave it away. As far as memory permitd, I wroye it all up HERE many decades ago.
It was an alumium frame and it wore out and yje wheels were red plsic and there was a conversuibn kit to allow wood and metal to be cut. Being PLASTIC, I made repeated better bearings.
Again, there should be one left in the North East of England and I recall that the speed reduction gears were replaced in aluminiu,. The owner has recently passed away and despite being a driend, I have not being allowed to bid for the workshop

So whether suitab;e toothed belts for the modified speed changes are srill avaiable, I am also unable to help.

Concluding, It was from Burgess Microswitch. Whether the firm still exists , I also have no idea,

It was on TVTE Team Valley, Gateshead UK

Hi Mark, I have a BBS20 which I believe may be similar but I'm not wholly sure. The toothed belt on the BBS20 acts as the tyre on the drive pully, The same belt is used for both high and low speeds, with the motor being easily adjustable on slotted mounts to accomodate either high or low speeds.

Hi Mark, I have a BBS20 which I believe may be similar but I'm not wholly sure. The toothed belt on the BBS20 acts as the tyre on the drive pully, The same belt is used for both high and low speeds, with the motor being easily adjustable on slotted mounts to accomodate either high or low speeds.

Hence the 'Conversion Kit'. I seem to recall that the kit had a sheetof paper with sprrds- etc,

A tool of limited life normally

I had a BBS20 and IMO it was of little practical use. Any oil on the blade and it ceased to drive. New belt required. Sort of OK for wood but not much else. . I seem to recall a leaflet rather than any sort of manual.

If it still has the nylon guide rollers replace with aluminium or similar.

Burgess Products were in Leicestershire.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Burgess_Products_Co
I was given my example and gave it away myself. Hence you can deduce at least two 'owners' had little regard for them.

D.

Ive just sold one of these, worked fine on thin material and because of its 3 wheels has a good throat depth relative to its size. I did have a slow speed kit (wheel and belt) which I did not use. I used it for wood and non ferrous metals. I roughed out all the aluminium stock for my recently completed Farm Boy. Not sure that I would attempt to cut steel with it, even with the lower speed.

Simon

burgess were bought by record tools. you may be able to contact them.
I cannot help as I have a BK3.
brian

Thanks for all your responses.

Have found some info - front page only of what would be a user manual and a diagram indicating the change of belt to change speeds.
It shows the belt going around the drive wheel for slow speeds which then doubles as a tyre, which is a bit misleading since it does not have teeth. I have fitted a belt tyre around it to see if there is any difference since I don’t have a larger belt anyway. (Yet)

Prior to me getting it, it was well used in a machine shop so required quite a bit of attention and has had a fair bit of use by me over the last 30 plus years and to be honest, I have been quite impressed by it for the purposes I use it for - thin ply, plastics, fibre boards, light metals etc. just need to take care when using it is all. But being able to change to a slow speed would be a huge benefit. I have never really known how to accomplish that before now although I have used a speed control unit to slow it down at times.

E107AED4-15D5-4C99-89BA-4A1EB5EDFEB8.jpeg

94ACDD49-DC51-4FD2-BE24-0648C172F484.jpeg
021450A4-2849-43F8-82D2-D69EC06492FD.jpeg
CC98DE3B-3AE0-49B0-A208-675B42798AC1.jpeg
2A07157C-57D5-4AF4-8E19-D426DC1C6E6D.jpeg

I have the manual. I will scan it and send it once I Have done it

Many thanks PeterDRG

Would be keen to see what the original slide looks like since I have never had one and want to see if I can make one up.

I am guessing that these Bandsaw models never came out with any tyres on the wheels so one of my original question still needs commenting on - would there be any benefit in fitting tyres to all three wheels, like making it a bit quieter maybe ?
It is quite noisey when it is running but then most bandsaws are anyway.

Mark.

Last edited:
Many thanks PeterDRG

Would be keen to see what the original slide looks like since I have never had one and want to see if I can make one up.

I am guessing that these Bandsaw models never came out with any tyres on the wheels so one of my original question still needs commenting on - would there be any benefit in fitting tyres to all three wheels, like making it a bit quieter maybe ?
It is quite noisey when it is running but then most bandsaws are anyway.

Mark.
I am over 91 and am not 'guessing'. These little saws simply filled a gap and unless one had the ability and could afford the sastings for the Westbury, there was nothing else-- except a hand hacksaw. The Burgess was small enough to fit on the emd of the bench along with the £25* Yes) Myford ML7-- ehich few could afford. New a Burgess would cut an inch square-- and then the nyon or whatever it was, would wear out. I would buy a roll of 'Starret' blade, scraf hoimt and then siver solder it into bands.
Today, the cheap and not terribly nasty 6 x4 will go into a garage which has a car and not a motor cycle and perha[s a sidecar. I had a 150cc Lambretta comple with surplus ex- aircraft wheels-- or even someone would have a Corgi bike that were dropped at Arnhem.
Today? The Burgess has its place in history in a Museum for White Elephants.

I´m 74 and use a Femi for horizontal work, which is very precise and will cut washers off round bar. For light vertical work I use the Burgess. The 3 wheel design offers a usful throat.
I promised the manual.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 201
It will only let me post 10 files, so here are the rest.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 225
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 196
PS. I used to do my paper rounds on on one of those bikes. If I left it in the bike shed at school, I always had to check the wing nuts, as some comedian regularly undid them

Thank you for posting the BK3 manual Peter, but there are two page 5's (6.jpg and 7.jpg) and no page 6.

Apologies ! I got interrupted when I was doing them

Attachments

• P6.jpg
    P6.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 138
Hi PeterDRG,
Many thanks for scanning and posting the user manual, however it is for the BK3 whereas mine is the BK2.
There are differences around the drive wheels and belts and it appears the BK3 has a tyre whereas the BK2 does not.
Anyway, I think I have sussed it out enough now to put this post to bed.

I have been very happy with this bandsaw over the 30 plus years I have had and used it. I did have to repair/reseat the bushes on the wheels and make new guides etc but that is to be expected. Especially since the previous owners had given it a good thrashing in their machine shops.
Also had a few blades continually breaking in the early days until I realised they were the wrong sort and too thick for the small 6” wheels - learning curve the hard way.
(No manual or instructions or internet or google back then) although I did get quite proficient in welding them up and making new ones once I purchased a length of the correct blade width and thickness.

Mark

Hi Mark
Actually, my machine is a BK2, too,but I was able to glean what I needed from it. Alan Woods was a great help too

Attachments

• All things Burgess BK3 v2.pdf
    587.6 KB · Views: 347

Latest posts

Back