Building the Trevithick engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the Trevithick is completely finished. The painting was finished 3 days ago, and it was all reassembled this morning and posed for some "beauty shots". I had a few issues with this build which involved the cylinder and the 4 way valve, but in the end I used a more conventional slide valve and finished with a well running engine. Thanks for riding along with me, and saying 'Hi" once in a while. It is a very pretty engine, and now it will go up on my shelf to the place of honour along-side the Stephenson's Rocket.---Brian
ZPoTER.jpg

5GDdtD.jpg

puCcCM.jpg

srQKaa.jpg

83DUft.jpg

So, the Trevithick is completely finished. The painting was finished 3 days ago, and it was all reassembled this morning and posed for some "beauty shots". I had a few issues with this build which involved the cylinder and the 4 way valve, but in the end I used a more conventional slide valve and finished with a well running engine. Thanks for riding along with me, and saying 'Hi" once in a while. It is a very pretty engine, and now it will go up on my shelf to the place of honour along-side the Stephenson's Rocket.---Brian
ZPoTER.jpg

5GDdtD.jpg

puCcCM.jpg

srQKaa.jpg

83DUft.jpg
Thank you Brian for another delightful project and for sharing your techniques with us. Loren

Thanks guys.--A word of warning---I would not use that brand of paint again. As soon as it dried it started flaking off. I have never had that problem using Tremclad or Rustoleum paints, but the colors are somewhat limited. This paint is "Dupli-Color Perfect Match" sold in aerosol spray cans by Canadian Tire.

Brian, If the Dupli-Color that you used is the same as we have down here, it needs a primer on steel or etch primer on alloy to work. Loved the build, can't wait to see what you come up with next
2.jpg

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:
Ray--I don't know. I pour my heart and soul into building these machines, and by the end of the build I am burned out. Right now my lathe is broken, and back at the suppliers in Toronto for repairs. My next build will be when the lathe comes home, and it will be something to aid a 74 year old man moving a great big heavy lathe by himself, back into a very small and hard to get to machine shop.

Ray--I don't know. I pour my heart and soul into building these machines, and by the end of the build I am burned out. Right now my lathe is broken, and back at the suppliers in Toronto for repairs. My next build will be when the lathe comes home, and it will be something to aid a 74 year old man moving a great big heavy lathe by himself, back into a very small and hard to get to machine shop.
Brian, I am sorry you are having trouble with your lathe again so soon. I'm sure you will come up with an easier way to move it in and out. Loren

Loren--I got a call this morning. Trouble was caused by a loose connection at the reverse switch. Lathe will be home on Wednesday. I have designed something to help me put the lathe back in it's place, but will start a new thread for that.---Brian

I will start a new thread on moving my lathe. There is nothing real earth shattering about what I have designed and built, but it is new and a bit different. I am very conscious about the possibility of hurting myself when moving machinery, so people may find it interesting.---Brian

No matter what you do or make in the end it is part of you and another great achievement and I'm sure it makes you very proud when you look at at them and reminisce over the hours spent in their making. Well Done! John

well shoot Brian, i was looking forward to some complicated mechanical device that you worked through and explained how you did it. i have enjoyed the trevithich engine build (hope i spelled it right). i want to say that i appreciate you and all the other members showing the setups and procedures for making all these intricut cuts and describing the procedures to do it. it really helps and ill have to say i am getting to the point that i can now start adapting the information you all give into other things that i do now.

long story short - thank you for sharing your build and thanks to all the others who do / did the same.

A big "Thank You" goes out to Rick in Sarasota Florida. Today, in my mail, I received a 3D "stamp" of the Trevithick engine. It's about 0.8" x 1.2" in Bas-relief. Rick said that he enjoyed following my Trevithick build on the forum, so he made the stamp for me.
GM2Jyp.jpg

Back