Building the Felgiebel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whaaawww, very nice build!!!!!
Also very wel done, the castings!!

Pierkemo

Next part is not so easy to build, the contact spring.

Starting with this:

IMG_20180830_104207.jpg

Bending around several times ...

IMG_20180830_134957.jpg

after harden, temper and sandblast it looks like this:

IMG_20180831_102116.jpg

finally assembled contact:

IMG_20180831_111739.jpg

Next part to build is the fuel tank.
I do not like sheet metal work that much :( But it has to be done. The tank is build of a 0.25 sheet of brass.

First I made a helper tool for forming the caps. The sheet has to be annealed several times to punch it around the radius.

IMG_20180901_171602.jpg

Soldered togehter:

IMG_20180901_172545.jpg

Better to create the tank cover with metal spinning method, it's fact much easier and more beautiful than hammering the edge of tank cover. You can do it on lathe. The brass sheet must be annealed to be soft to form on pattern. See this movie how to spinning the parts..

Here is the info about metal spinning..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_spinning

Last edited:
You are absolutely right. This will be a much better approach. I never could motivate me to create the nessecary tools needed for spinning in the past. Did not need them often in the past. But in the time I spent knocking with the hammer I would already have built them. You make me start thinking...

OK, I took the time to create some metall spinning tools for me.
Now the result looks significantly better than my first try.
Thanks to Machanicboy!

IMG_20180910_080234.jpg

How about some photos of the tools you made for spinning?
Regards
Dean

Some gastank parts

IMG_20180923_205817.jpg

and a mounting plate. Used for drilling the careburettors holes and later as testbench.

IMG_20180922_102209.jpg

IMG_20180922_105209.jpg

But the result was very disappointing.

It looks to me that the Alu was not able to push out the ambient air. Perhaps I filled it in to fast. I don't think the Alu cooled to fast, it came out very "liquid" from riser. Alu was at 700°C, the mould was pre-heated to 200°C, I used some salt as flux and wash soda for degasing.

I'm not sure where the problem resides. Maybe there is more than one :confused:
Or it is even not possible to make it this way :(

Any comments and suggestions are welcome!

cheers,
Robert

View attachment 94880
Hi
Maybe possible solution is simple mold by imprint the head pattern horizontally into sand with fins oriented down.

Hi
Maybe possible solution is simple mold by imprint the head pattern horizontally into sand with fins oriented down.

Also tried this way, but the gravity produces to less force, to press the alu down and let the air come out. The result was not better as in the picture you quoted. Perhaps it would work, if you fill the alu very very slowly, but then it would cool down until you are finished.
Now I'm thinking about a simple centrifugal cast mechanism... I know, the head can be simply milled and turned, but I'm interested if I can get it done this way.

Is acceptable head with thicker wedge profile fins like on old Enya or McCoy engines?

Ok, alle the parts are completed. Now putting it all together ...

IMG_20181101_103953.jpg

This is the watercooled version, also described in the book.

IMG_20181205_153712.jpg

This is the "original" version from the book:

IMG_20181205_153427.jpg

This is my personal version, some slight modifications. A longer intake tube and a "tuning" head with higher compression. I'm curious to see how it will run ;-)

IMG_20181205_153532.jpg

The whole Felgiebel family:

IMG_20181205_154058.jpg

and from behind:

IMG_20181205_153917.jpg

Can't await to see them (homefully) run.

More to come....

Hello Rweber, yes i like to receive the STL for the crankschaft. Many thanks, Pierre

Latest posts

Back