Building Rudy's Steam Tractor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic post Dennis.
Thank you.
I was scrolling up from the bottom and knew it was you (I mean 'that' Dennis) as soon as I saw the pic.

Thank you Dennis for that tutorial on pin striping. I have had several drafting classes over the years but have never been required to do inked prints. I've always wanted to experience the technique and now I have actually got an idea of the process, using paint of course. In thinking forward in my build I plan to utilize your example when it comes time to 'decorate'. You do some of the very finest detail work. Thm: yes sir, top shelf.

BC1
Jim

Dennis,

Thanks for the education. I have wondered how pinstripping was done. Somewhere I have my Dads old drafting set that he used in college back in the 1950's. The set has the inking tools. Perhaps someday I will give pinstripping a try.

Thanks,

SAM

I have seen those pens in different drafting sets and did not know what they were, now I do. Great job, I really do love all the riveting, the striping just adds to the whole project, well done, thanks for the tutorial. I wonder if fine line Sharpies or felt tip pens would work also? ink might fade? Thanks; Tad

Sharpies will rub off over time from handling. I would invest the effort to duplicate these results. A small price to pay after all the time invested getting it ready for paint.

Thayer

Dean, Zee, Jim, SAM & Tad...Thanks for the compliments and for following along.
Thayer...I agree with you. The pens are easy to use and can be picked up at swap meets and garage sales for very little money.

My Post #54

Final Assembly

Final assembly wasn’t without the usual trials of dropped parts and forgotten assembly sequences, but I finally got there.

Here’s the result:
P1070830.jpg

P1070749.jpg

P1070744.jpg

P1070836.jpg

P1070764.jpg

P1070753.jpg

And a final one with a Coke can for scale:
P1070821.jpg

I’ve tested it with air, so I know it runs. I plan to steam it up early next week and will post a video then. That will be my first try at live steam, so it should be interesting!

I know there’s no way I could have built this without the support and knowledge of this board, so “Thank You!” It’s risky to name names because I’ll leave somebody out, but I’ve got to say a special thank you to Doug Lanum and Gary Hart. Their advice and design ideas (which I shamelessly borrowed) really helped make the tractor special.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis, what can I say? It's absolutely stunning. Your finished pictures are much more than the sum of the parts. Your attention to detail throughout this build has been meticulous and it shows in the final assembly.
Everyone has to make their own decisions about running an engine but let me give you a little bit of information in regard to mine. I had it polished and painted much like yours when I finished it and I certainly wanted to fire it because that was the purpose of building it. After several firings with water and oil spattering all over everthing it lost it's glamorous look. I have no regrets because I really enjoy steaming it but I'm just giving you a heads up on what's going to happen.
I will definitely be nominating your engine for the MOM.
George

Wow, wow wow. It's stunningly beautiful!!
You've done a fine job all the way through the thread, Dennis, and every single
step, every extra effort, shows up here.

Wow, wow wow.

Dean

Absolutely stunning! The detail, the precision, the color scheme - everything.

You need to be very, very proud.

What everyone has said plus awesome, beautiful, wonderful....I don't care if I'm repeating. That is a piece of work...of art. Inspirational.

th_confused0052 th_confused0052 th_confused0052 woohoo1 woohoo1 woohoo1 woohoo1 th_wav th_wav th_wav th_wav th_wav th_wav th_wav

Is all I can say.

Ron

Oh WOW !!! Gorgeous !!! :bow: :bow: and ditto on the previous message !!

Mike

Denny, that is truly awesome. I am without words and am still drooling like a kid in a candy store and stunned all at the same time. Your work is an inspiration to say the very least, I've certainly enjoyed every minute of the ride and can't wait to see this one in action. Just, plain phenomenal it is, and that's a fact. th_confused0052

BC1
Jim

Dennis,

The guys have said the superlatives I would have said....................so

Wot they said in Hearts......................Congratulations.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Top class job. I see that this thread started in March of 09, so 15 months to build it. I wish I had both the skill and the patience. :bow:

Dennis,

Man!

I go to Scout camp for a week and you finish your tractor.

Absolutely beautiful.

SAM

Beautiful build Dennis! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rick

Superb Build :bow:

IronHorse

Back