Building of TINY INLINE 4 in Brazil

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello to all!
Good news to share with you all. I'm very happy!!!!!
I got some progress with the TI4 carburetor. Now it started to respond to throttle. Still not 100% but good improvement achieved.

The result came after making another Carb Barrel (third one). This time I payed very very close attention on drilling the venturi hole on the barrel and the fitting tolerance of the barrel OD and the Carb hole.

Take a look at the result on the video bellow?
https://youtu.be/h7yhtEhm3ys

Hey, how do I do to make the video apear here not only the link?

Thanks,

Edi

Sounding great Edi. With the old forum software the youtube links couldn't be the type with the split in youtube as in : youtu.be. Not sure if it's the same in this software, I'll try it out for you

Ok, that works as expected - I clicked on the link you posted, then copied and pasted the youtube address it took me to (which is different to your link).

Sounding great Edi. With the old forum software the youtube links couldn't be the type with the split in youtube as in : youtu.be. Not sure if it's the same in this software, I'll try it out for you

Ok, that works as expected - I clicked on the link you posted, then copied and pasted the youtube address it took me to (which is different to your link).

Hi Steve! Thanks. Yes, you are wright. I was so afraid/scared thatthe TI4 would not run. The satisfaction to see it running and hear it roar is indescriable. This is my first engine and project ever.
Hi Cogsy! Thanks for your help.

The video bellow is a test to see how it works

Today is Saturday so I have almost all day:):) to try more improvements and than to start on the radiator.

Thank you very much for all the help, suggestions and advises I got from the great members here.

Edi

Hi to all!
I just wanted to share with you all a video about an engine made out of junk/scrap without any accuracy at all. Almost everything came from scraped DVD players. The cylinder and piston came from a refrigerator compressor. What amazed me is that it works. By the explanations, the guy evidencies not have any knowledge about some 4 stroke engine principles.
It is amazing what a person can do when having determination.

Take a look on the video you will be surprised. How came it runs!!!

Tks,

Edi

Hello fellows!

I'm still struggling to get better running condition on the eTI4. It runs only at high rpm and does not stay running.
Reviewing the Kelly instructions, he indicates to use Coleman with WD-40 10%mix for break-in and 5% after that.

My questions.
- Why to use Coleman fuel instead of Gasoline?

- I'm using air plane piston engine gasoline (high octane).

- Is it good or bad for this engine?

- What about regular car gasoline?

I was reading some articles about high-octane gasoline and I have learned that it is more difficult to explode to avoid pre ignition on high compression rate engines.

According to my calculations, it has 5.3/1. Bore diameter .375 stroke .500 and gap on TDC .0945.

Is the fuel I'm using causing this situation? I already rechecked the carburetor and all dim. are to the drawing specs.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Edi

Hi Steve!
I have set the timing according to Kelly instructions. The distributor is set to 30 degrees before TDC. I have purchased the timing lamp as you recommended.
Please see the instructions bellow.
upload_2018-5-30_0-28-58.png

Tks,

Edi

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-30_0-18-22.png
    upload_2018-5-30_0-18-22.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 246
  • upload_2018-5-30_0-22-24.png
    upload_2018-5-30_0-22-24.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 237
Hi Edi,

One thing that will help these little engines run slower is a large diameter flywheel.

I have a set of Kelly's drawings for the little four cylinder and see the flywheel is 1.9 inches OD.

I put a 2.75 inch diameter flywheel on my Silver Bullet and that really helped the low idle. The original flywheel was 2.17 inches diameter.

You could turn up a steel ring and Loctite it to your existing flywheel for a trial run.

Chuck

Hello Steve!

Bingo!! After reading your comment, I spent some time in front of the TI4 just thinking what could be wrong, then I checked how free it was spinning manually turning the flywheel.

Steve, you were right!!!

I found that on TDC it was loose however on the position the piston was sliding on the liner, it was really tight. Without thinking too much, I removed the spark plug and put a couple of oil drops thru the spark plug hole and turned the flywheel by hand then with the Dremel.

My conclusion was that the oil on the crankcase was not reaching the piston skirt so, I added more oil to it (almost doubled the volume) and span the flywheel with the Dremel again.

It ran a lot more loose. And the result you can see on the videos bellow.

After a little more fine tunning on the carburetor. Better response to throttle

Thank you Steve. Getting advises from experienced people makes a difference:):)

I also observed that if the TI4 gets to hot, it starts getting stuck again, my understanding is that the piston expands different than the liners and cause that situation. The temperature of the water on the can was about 80 degrees C 176F

Well, it is time to start the Radiator and check if it runs cooler.

Edi

Latest posts

Back