Building of TINY INLINE 4 in Brazil

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good :) That lathe set up looked very hairy, looks like the machine would have started bouncing.

Brock

Thanks Brock.
Yes I agree with you that reveled to be very unappropriated, you are also right about the lathe bouncing.
I thought it would be easier for machining that on the rotary table. I spend a couple of hours before getting to that setup because I had to change the lathe chuck and when I got the 4 independent jaw I found that it had different attachment holes (4) and the lathe is 3 holes so, I had to rework it.
21-04-1201320.jpg

21-04-1201319.jpg

Thanks,
Edi

Great work Edi. I never thought of grabbing work with a four jaw like that. (making mental note)
Alan

Hello everybody!
I apologize for not posting for a long time. I was deeply envolved in installing the CNC kit on my milling machine.
After the installaton I had to learn G code programing. I purchased a DVD training curse on G code. I did some exercise programming manually and using pieces of MDF material to test my programming skills.
Later on I meet a teacher for CNC programming and he told me about the MASTERCAM Software. Then again I purchased another DVD teaching how to use the Mastercam software which contains several exercises. This software is really something. I started programing the parts of the Tiny inline four engine using this Software.
I will be posting this week photos and details of my progress building the TI4 with the help of the CNC on the milling machine.

Thanks,

Edimilson

Can i ask what mill you use, it seems its Optimum?

Hello Hacklordsniper!
Yws it is Optimum machine. I purchased two machine from them last year, one D180 Vario Lathe and one BF20 Milling Machine with some acessories.
This year I purchased the CNC kit for the milling machine.
Do you need some specific information?

Thanks,
Edimilson

Before I show you my adventure with the CNC kit, I want to show you the machining of the timing cover without the use of CNC help.
Machining the botton side gears pockets.
DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Shaping the top side.
DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

Rounding the corners.
DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

On the next post I will show the finishing of the top.
See you.
Thanks.

My CNC training was on Mastercam at school, but it's expensive for a home shop. Like Steve Hucks, I've been using Cambam.

The build is going very nicely.

Hello Hacklordsniper!
Yws it is Optimum machine. I purchased two machine from them last year, one D180 Vario Lathe and one BF20 Milling Machine with some acessories.
This year I purchased the CNC kit for the milling machine.
Do you need some specific information?

Thanks,
Edimilson

Hello, we have identical machines. Im quite happy with my mill BF20L but quite unhappy with the D180 Vario as it came with quite many manufacturing defects. How happy are you with yours?

Hello, we have identical machines. Im quite happy with my mill BF20L but quite unhappy with the D180 Vario as it came with quite many manufacturing defects. How happy are you with yours?

Hi,
I have the avaluation as you, happy with the BF20 and not so happy with the D180 it also came with some defects and the cross travel movement have too much lash. As Optimum does not CNC kit for the D180, I`m considering to by the ball screws and adapt to it.

Thanks,
Edimilson

Thank you.

As i remember Optimum offers a CNC kit for D180 but they are quite expensive. Im selling my D180 and will buy D280 x 700 DC Vario, hoping its better build

Hello!
As I told you before I will start posting my progress building the TI4 using the CNC help.
The first part I selected was the timing cover. Yes it seems a quite complex part for the first experince with the CNC technology. The reason for that is that being that complex it envolved many different toolpaths what yould be a real test for my skills on CNC. Also I decided that because I had a help of a CNC programing teacher who has good knowlege about Mastercam.
I had to machine 2 parts because accidentally a touched the mouse pad of the computer and it caused a tool crasch damaging the almost finished part.

Here is the Timing Cover machined after the installation of a CNC kit on a originally conventional milling machine.

Preparing the stock material.
DSCN1321.jpg

DSCN1338.jpg

Machining the top of the part.
DSCN1342.jpg

Rounding the top profile. It was done using a 3mm round end mill.
DSCN1347.jpg

DSCN1350.jpg

Next post I will show the machining of the botton side.
See you.
Edimilson

Last edited:
Hello guys,
It is now the time of the btton side of the timing cover.

Gettingthe center of crankshaft hole as reference.
DSCN1351.jpg

Drilling the initial holes.
DSCN1356.jpg

Milling the holes using the circle mill pathwork. I used a 6mm flat end mill.
DSCN1354.jpg

DSCN1358.jpg

Some more pictures of the top.
DSCN1365.jpg

DSCN1367.jpg

Drilling the distributor hole.
DSCN1374.jpg

As I did not had the proper reamer diameter I used a Boring Head to finish the hole.
DSCN1376.jpg

Taping the hole of the hold down clamp.
DSCN1378.jpg

Finished part.
DSCN1380.jpg

DSCN1381.jpg

DSCN1382.jpg

Next post I will show the conecting rods.
Thanks,

Edimilson

Hello everybody! I`m here again to show youhow I did the tiny connecting rods.

Here I`m preparing the rod caps.
DSCN1384.jpg

DSCN1387.jpg

Preparing the rod body, taping the holes for the caps.
DSCN1385.jpg

Now machining to the thickness.
DSCN1388.jpg

Drilling the center holes.
DSCN1393.jpg

Circle milling the bottom holes.
DSCN1394.jpg

DSCN1395.jpg

Cutting apart the blanks.
DSCN1398.jpg

Machining the fixture to hold down theblanks.
DSCN1399.jpg

DSCN1400.jpg

DSCN1401.jpg

Tapping the hole where the blank will behold.
DSCN1402.jpg

DSCN1403.jpg

The first blank read to have the contourmachined.
DSCN1404.jpg

First contour machined. I did it in onepass for the depth and left 0.1mm as finish pass for the contour.
DSCN1406.jpg

First connecting rod finished.
DSCN1409.jpg

DSCN1414.jpg

The first parts machined using the CNC.
DSCN1411.jpg

That`s it for now. Next parts I will showis the cylinders liners, Rocker arms and the fan.

Thanks,

Edi

Hello. As I told you on the last post now I want to show you the machining of the Cylinder Liners, ROcker Arms and the Fan.

Turning the Cylinder Liners.
DSCN1415.jpg

DSCN1416.jpg

DSCN1417.jpg

DSCN1419.jpg

Milling the the Rocker Arms. It was very nice to see the machining the contour of the part.
DSCN1422.jpg

DSCN1423.jpg

DSCN1424.jpg

Here is a small video of the CNC operation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xEHYNunwBF4

After cutting the parts apart, I milled the back to the final thickness.
DSCN1426.jpg

DSCN1427.jpg

To machine the fan, I built a fixture with 6 taped holes to hold down the blank as shown on the picture bellow.
DSCN1428.jpg

The blank bolted to the fixture. As you can see I planned to use the central hole to hold the fan after the contour is completely machined. At this point the center hole is already reamed to the final diam.
DSCN1429.jpg

DSCN1430.jpg

DSCN1432.jpg

The hole you see on the left blade is the result of a CNC misoperation. I forgot to zero (reference) the toll. I machined a new one.
DSCN1435.jpg

The countour completely machined.
DSCN1436.jpg

Here the fan blades was angled and is finished. Ready to go to engine.
DSCN1440.jpg

As the milling machine was all set up for milling the fan, I decided to use this same set up to machine the Bracket Blank (support of the water pump).
The procedure was the same as the fan.

The fixture with the blank bolted to it.
DSCN1442.jpg

Contour and hole completed.
DSCN1445.jpg

DSCN1448.jpg

DSCN1454.jpg

Bended part.
DSCN1455.jpg

This is it. I hope you liked.

See you next post. The Water Pump.

TKS,
Edi

Last edited:
When I purchased the CNC kit for the milling machine I included a step motor and control card for the 4th axis. I`m now trying to make it work. I plan to machine the cam and crankshaft on the milling machine using the rotary table on vertical position. I think that doing this way will reduce the risk of warping the blank.
Recently I saw a video on youtube a guy machining a crankshaft for a 6 cylinder box model engine It seems to work very well. I will start my experience with the 4th axis testing on machining some gears for the Tiny in line engine.

See you.

Edi

Hi Edi...

Very nice your progress... Is great see this type of work here, in Brazil !

I will continue to watching your progress!

Cheers,

Alexandre

Latest posts

Back