Building Fred

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! It runs!

Of course now progress will slow down dramatically as you spend an inordinate amount of time playing with the thing... ;)

Yea! Congrats to Fred. Congrats to Arnold too :big: :big:

Looking good, sounding good, and I can see your grin up here in North America!

Cheers, Joe

Woo-hoo! Way to go, Arnold!

I'll just bet you were wearing your engineer's cap and bib overalls.
: )
I probably would have..

Dean

Way to go, Arnold. That's got to be a thrill!
Dennis

Hi Arnold

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: nice one mate Thm:

Regards Rob

Way to go Arnold Great Job

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Have fun

Stew

Well done Arnold. :bow: :bow: :bow:

If you you could bottle the feeling you get when your engine first runs you could make a fortune selling it

Rich

BRAVO!!!! Arnold, that is making me grin. Man, I have to tell you I am very impressed with how you are able to 'get around' potential obstacles like making your own track system. I'm not sure I would have thought of that. :-\ Well done indeed. Fred seems to be willing to do your bidding but seems a tad shy. :D What a great thread this one is, I truly enjoy reading about and seeing your experiences. Thank you :bow: Marvelous build. More to come, and I know it will be just as enjoyable to see the next chapter unfold. HOORAH for FRED!!!

BC1
Jim

Arnold

Congratulations. I can just about feel that great big grin over here that you must have had on your face as it made the first circuit of the track. th_wav

Cheers :)

Don

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH for the overwhelming response and enthusiasm! ;D - Baie Dankie ! :bow:
There's a lot of special thanks to be said as well; I'll wait with that till the build is finished.

I didn't do much today; made a new safety valve, as the first one was leaking, fixed a leak on the regulator shaft, stripped the engine and cleaned it to make sure there are no "bits" in there from running so far, and fixed a leak that appeared where the burner feed pipe went into the reservoir. I also temporarily fit the fly-cranks and coupling rods. At some future point, I'll have to re-make the bottom cylinder heads; I've been running the engine without packing nuts on the rods, and when I tried to make some nuts, I discovered I left too tight a tolerance for the nuts; their sides collapse or undercut when making...

The bottle I used for the fill-up water must have had some kind of a residue in it that caused foaming; I thoroughly cleaned it, and on some more trial runs had less problems with water going to the engine.

Fred's running a lot better now, but the burner appears inadequate; it still runs out of steam after a lap of the "track" - or even free-running on top of the vise like I've shown it on air. I'll play around with different wick settings to see if I can't get it to maintain steam pressure while running - a gas burner is definitely on the cards.

I'd like to have Fred finished by next Sunday, so this week I have to fit in quite a bit of plate work and cosmetics: the reverser stand and coupling, buffers, foot plate, dummy water tank, coal bunker and a complete paint-job overhaul, clean-up and detailing. Still lots to do!

Another short clip of Fred running the circuit; not much different from yesterday's, but a bit less sputtering and with the coupling rods in place:
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yNfRXj0TDDo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yNfRXj0TDDo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Once again, thank you everyone for your positive responses!
Regards, Arnold

Brilliant stuff Arnold. It's running really well there :bow: ;D

Arnold I miss the forum for a couple of day and what I found then?

a Fred running on steam!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

wowww, that is really amazing, fantastic
congrats Arnold, you did a great job there, and the thread is very interesting too, well documented etc. :bow:

Great job, Arnold. Congratulations on your POM nomination.

Chuck

...All that ( and beautiful,too ) in 3 months!

It's gonna be a hard act to follow!

Back