Building an Oscillating Engine for my first engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote "I'll check into rivets. It looks like what i need. "
AK-47 receivers {1.0 mm or 1.5 mm sheet steel} are put together with rivets and the heads are mushroomed with a 12 ton or 20 ton press and a rivet die..
seems to be very strong joint. Steam boilers were also put together with red hot rivets and rolled steel plates, like Steamchick has said.

Quote "I'll check into rivets. It looks like what i need. "
AK-47 receivers {1.0 mm or 1.5 mm sheet steel} are put together with rivets and the heads are mushroomed with a 12 ton or 20 ton press and a rivet die..
seems to be very strong joint. Steam boilers were also put together with red hot rivets and rolled steel plates, like Steamchick has said.

Using rivet guns will be enough ?

Yes air rivet guns work, like the ones air craft manufacturing plants use, if you can find one,? price my be more then a milling attachment for your lathe..

Normally a hammer is adequate. The regular ball pein hammer is designed for that anyway. The ball end for riveting, the pein (flat end) for forging (flats) or driving drifts and nails....
Use a 1mm x 1mm countersink on the outer ends of the hole through the 2 parts to be joined. The rivet is forged into that small countersink, and prevents separation of parts. Leave a little proud then file flush afterwards.
In the absence of a 20 ton press, you can do the riveting in a 4 inch engineers vice. (a good strong one). But the action of "peining-over" the end of the rivet has 2 actions: I.E. to close the joint tightly, and to forge rivet metal into a shoulder to take the stress of the assembly. I am sure there will be a Utube on riveting...?
K2

QUOTE " I am sure there will be a Utube on riveting...? "

Lots of YouTube sites show riveting, search AK-47 builds.

Yes air rivet guns work, like the ones air craft manufacturing plants use, if you can find one,? price my be more then a milling attachment for your lathe..

I can't justify that amount for air rivet guns. I was referring to the hand powered one that cost 10 or 20 bucks.

Watch a YouTube vide on building a AK-47 it shows how they do it. gen boy is a good one {I think you can get a ball peen hammer for about $20.00 US}
McMaster-Carr here in the US has rivets all sizes not sure if Thiel ship out to you.?? look at post 104

Last edited:
Here is the bottom part comprising 4 parts that you simply bolt together using the "T" slots to hold it all together. The holes on the two side plates have to be made to span to the center of your T slots. The middle part has to be bolted to the bottom part. This middle part is the nut for the threaded upper sections screw.

OK, next for the top and screw.

Here is my interpretation of your design

Top section

Top slide.PNG

Bottom section
Bottom section.PNG

Base
Base.PNG

The bearings you mentioned isnt shown here but i'll add them on the construction. Also screw (or rivet) holes arent shown.
Now is the part where you tell me what i did wrong.

Are you tack welding it together or ? Do you have a drawing of the finished item.?

Are you tack welding it together or ? Do you have a drawing of the finished item.?

There is not holes in the drawing but i will use screws or rivets. I might shorten the top section to a square(probably 50x50mm)

Malofix, regards! I've been following you on the advancements for your first Oscillating Engine and decided to show you mine, which was built a long time ago, before the aid of any Cad 3D software program ( something I cannot live without anymore). This little engine was first designed as being a double acting one, but worked well as a single acting. The aim was pushing a small boat. The following pics can help you moving forward with your overall structure:

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Cylinder & Piston.jpg
    Cylinder & Piston.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Disassembled.jpg
    Disassembled.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Flywheel.jpg
    Flywheel.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Piston.jpg
    Piston.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Shaft.jpg
    Shaft.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Size.jpg
    Size.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Spring detail.jpg
    Spring detail.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 74
Malofix, regards! I've been following you on the advancements for your first Oscillating Engine and decided to show you mine, which was built a long time ago, before the aid of any Cad 3D software program ( something I cannot live without anymore). This little engine was first designed as being a double acting one, but worked well as a single acting. The aim was pushing a small boat. The following pics can help you moving forward with your overall structure:

Thank you, i appreciate it.

Back