Building a Bonzer Bonzer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful warming up fuel. Somehow that seems, aahhhh---a bit dangerous.

For sure. A 60 watt lamp on the tank under watchful eyes

Cheers,
Phil

Okay Phil--the carb is on its way. I just slipped up to the post office now and sent it by air express. The post office guaranteed delivery within 5 business days as long as U.S. customs doesn't get involved in it. I will send you a private message with your tracking number in it.---Now we can both set around and play the "Waiting for parts" game.--Actually this should work out well. Designed by an Australian, built by a Yank, with a couple of Canadian parts.----a truly international effort!!!---Brian

Brian is one cool dude!

You can try also Jan Ridders bubble tank. Not more 'too rich' - 'too lean'. It will work very fine.

Barry

Thanks Rob, Barry.

You can try also Jan Ridders bubble tank

That's on the list of things to try Barry.

so there is no such thing as an electric engine?

Rob: I grew up with the notion that a device that converts electricity to rotational motion is a motor. Any device that converts the energy of heat to rotational motion is an engine. But you got me thinking, so I Googled "electric engine".

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/electric+engine

Whoda' thunk?scratch.gif

Phil

Coming from New Jersey I used the terms that way, too.
At least used to.

But I've always wondered why it's Ford Motor Company and General Motors.
They weren't primarily in the electric motor business.

Bill

I believe I qualify for the "happy dance th_wav " today since I had to stop the engine using the ignition switch.

The problem I was having with the engine stopping after 10 - 15 seconds was traced to the vapor carb. I had been keeping the tank about 1/4 full. Today I decided to fill the tank 3/4 full and when I did I could only get the engine to fire by admitting air into the intake. This is how the carb is supposed to work. By admitting air I could run the engine as long as I dared to considering the water tank is not installed. This was up to almost a minute, then I had to turn the ignition switch off. I did this exercise at least 5 times, and each time I had to shut off the engine with the ignition switch. So I think all that remains now is to attach the water tank and build a portable stand for it. Presently, it's firmly attached to the benchtop.

When the water tank is installed I'll show the results in a video.

Cheers,
Phil

I'm going to the basement now to start my engine woohoo1

Congratulations on your first running IC engine!

Thanks Weez. It's an exciting time for one of my longest projects. I still have the usual tweaking to do but the valves, piston rings, gears are all working well.

Cheers,
Phil

Congratulations Phil.
I think you have beat it in to submission. All that is left is to domesticate some so it''s on it's best behavior all the time.
Gail in NM

Thanks Gail,
Your efforts in making the window for the vapor carb are appreciated. Still learning a lot about that vapor carb. It seems to be very sensitive to the air admitting right now. Todays results were better than yesterdays so that means progress:D

Cheers,
Phil

Great too read that your engine is running. Now whe want a movie offcourse.

Regards

Barry

Barry,
Look here for the latest run video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOVLQw6CPlA[/ame]

Cheers,
Phil

Looks really good. I think you are very happy right now.

Phil---Look away back at post #234. That is where I tell you about not having the gas tank above, nor too far below the center of the carburetor barrel. I generally go by the "rule of thumb" that the top level of fuel in the gas tank should be about 3/4" below the center of the carb barrel. If you were trying my carburetor with the tank 3" below the carb, it wouldn't have created enough vacuum to pull the fuel that high.---Brian

Thanks Brian,
I'm going to give your carb another try with the fuel tank elevated.

Your recent carb work is very well done

Cheers,
Phil

I have been picking at the engine this past week, but no joy. At one point I lost compression, but a little fiddling brought it back, I think I had some crud on the valve seat.

The fuel tank is now elevated so the top of the tank is about at the level of the intake port. I made a bubbler for the vapor carb and actually got a few short runs in.

Now I'm dealing with a battery (The replacement for #1) that loses its power in a few minutes after a full charge to 12 V it falls to 7.5 V and no spark :confused: So that goes back for #3, but I'm going to try another brand. This battery is rated at 7 AH at 12V and it's connected to a standard automobile ignition coil. I assume it should have the juice for the job?

That's it for now. I'm cranking out gears for my transmission project and at least I'm having success there.

Cheers,
Phil

OK, I think we finally have success. I've now started the engine several times and each time I've had to stop it by shutting off the ignition.

After dealing with two faulty batteries I managed to get a reliable ignition system.

Then with the vapor carb I could get it to run, but after 15 - 20 seconds it would coast to a stop. No amount of fooling around with air mixtures would get a run of more than 20 seconds.

So I installed Brian's carb and after a brief period of fiddling this was the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2euPi_uU0s&feature=youtu.be

So I will kep this set up until AussieJimG comes to visit in a few weeks so he can see it run, then a strip it down, install the water tank, and finally build Brian's carb. This carb was given to me by Brian and represents an older design but it works great.

A final post of the finished engine is probably a month away.

Thanks everyone for looking in, offering advice, plans (AussieJimG) parts (GailinNM, Brian Rupnow). I couldn't have done it alone

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back