Building a Bigger Benson Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A wonderful engine, and nice to see it run in the video!

Simon

Jason, this engine is exquisite :bow:
Really well done; congratulations!

Kind regards, Arnold

Hello Jason,

Congratulations on a superb model. I always look forward to reading your posts wether they are a build thread or an answer to someone's question because I learn something new more often than not. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your work, knowledge and insights on the finer points of model making. It is greatly appreciated.

What kind of air connection are you using in your base? The recessed connection points for intake and exhaust(?) are very attractive. Thanks again Jason.

Kind regards,
Mike

Ramon said:
That's a nice masking job Jason and very effective Thm:. Rather fortunate it's a couple of days' too late as you would have given me ideas ;)

Several years ago at an exhibition I saw an engine - an Otto I think - mounted on genuine brown linoleum that had been scribed for tile effect then oiled. It looked absolutely realistic but where oh where would you find linoleum these days.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Regards - Ramon

Hi Ramon,

Linoleum is still very popular as a hardwearing flooring material, we had some laid a few years ago with the school badge inlaid into the surface using different colours, it was very effective.

http://www.armstrong.co.uk/commflreu/en-gb/flooring.asp/linoleum/_/N-1z141ut.

Perhaps you could ask for offcuts from flooring contractors? Otherwise it would be a pack of tiles or perhaps a metre off a roll! In my first school it was used to surface the workshop benches as it is resistant to dirt and oil and has a self healing surface as well as being kind to tools.

Best regards

Terry

Thanks for all the kind comments, Museum Quality is not a phrase I like much as I've seen it used all too often to describe some right Dogs, but I know what you mean.

Ramon I think its about 135 miles from me to the museum. As to whats next well I should really get my Fowler Traction engine finished off as thats stood still for too long. While doing teh Benson I've also started on a 1/2 scale Domestic "Stovepipe" hit & miss engine and will start writing that up soon in the "Engines from castings" section. I've also got a set of castings for a 2" Fowler ploughing engine but not in a rush to start that one (well I have done a bit ;) ) I do fancy another of Anthony Mounts designs - the Easton & Anderson grasshopper beam and will double that up to give a 10" flywheel and about 17" overall length.

Mike at the bottom of the grey pipework there is a simple block of brass drilled to form an elbow connection from that I have a 5/32" copper pipe that finishes just inside the brass ferrule and I simply push an old airbrush hose onto that. I'm only running it with 15psi so not much risk of it popping off.

J

I was so taken with your engine I forgot to say thanks for pointing me in the direction of 'Lino' I really had thought that that was a product of the past. Thank you too Terry.
As I said this (Otto) engine looked most attractive on a very realistic flooring so I shall certainly look into finding some - had never even considered the 'art' direction - the last time I saw 'lino cut' was at school, mind you that was only yesterday ;)

270 miles round trip is a fair old way for a day out Jason but you'd be more than welcome. Should you decide I can certainly get details sent to you - it's usually the first Sunday in October which is a normal steaming day and as always all the full size engines that can be steamed usually are.

We appear very similar in outlook certainly with things planned ahead though mine are mainly I/C orientated. You bring a wry smile however, next to the scaled up Benson Drawings in the folder are - yep you guessed it the AM Grass Hopper also scaled up but I think it an unlikely proposition for a long time yet.

Look forward to reading about your hit and miss engine

Regards - Ramon

Yep , that's the one or one very similar. So it was built by 'Johann' - now that explains why it looks so good - one truly awesome model maker :bow:

Fantastic Jason! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Between you and Ramon I get to feel very humble! ;)

Seriously though, all credit where it is due; that is a smashing looking job you have made, with absolute attention to detail. Congratulations.

Andy

Jason,
I have enjoyed both your build as well as the finished product. Your descriptions of fabricating parts are especially thought-provoking. I like working from solid myself but am still floundering about when thinking about making solids look like castings or forgings. A lot of food for thought in your work.
Oh, by the way, your end product is really beautiful.
Alan

Just to let you all know, but particularly Ramon and Jason;

The Forncett Industrial Steam Museum Model Engineer's Day is on Sunday 7th October.

It really is a cracking day, small but really friendly!!!! I don't get to see my wife once I have filled her with home-made coffee and walnut cake, she is off chatting to everyone...and she doesn't know one end of a lathe from the other!

I will be there, getting my hands dirty with the big boys' toys! ;)

Andy

Hi Jason

I started looking at this build at the very beginning and have just caught up with it today, and what can I say that has not already been said, it is truly a work of art and I would dearly love to be able to turn out work of this quality. Please keep them coming, you are an inspiration to us all I am sure.

Les :bow: :bow: :bow:

That engine is stunning. The attention to detail gives me something to aspire to :bow:

Latest posts

Back