Build a mini caterham

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, yes that's great!
Good luck with the Caterham.
A mate of mine had just finished one. About 220 BHP Ford Durertec.
Crazy expensive!!!!
About £40k
and you have to build most of it yourself.

Cool. I don't suppose you would have any contacts that could help me get hold of a cad model on the body work that I could scale to my chassis would you? I'm planning on 3d printing molds and making carbon fiber panels
When looking for more "technical" CAD models, check out Grabcad. I remember that I did find some Caterham / Lotus / Locust / Super 7 related stuff there, but that was years ago.
Just give the authors the credit they deserve ;)

Regards, Jan

So over the last couple of weeks I've made the steering rack for my mini caterham project and got it fitted. Good to see some moving parts

I've also have a nose cone 3D printing so I can work out what space I have for the radiator which I've bought. (PC radiator)

I've also bought a module 1 - 75mm dia gear which I intend to modify for my flywheel. This way I can use a starter motor.

IMG_20200618_100417_1.jpg
IMG_20200620_180659_3.jpg
IMG_20200702_143605.jpg
IMG_20200703_015136.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to make a multi speed box to work with the centrifugal clutch, I would suggest a planetary / brake band type - see Ford Model T gearbox for more detail.
The supercharger drive on my radial uses a planetary / brake band arrangement to switch between low and high speeds.

If you want to make a multi speed box to work with the centrifugal clutch, I would suggest a planetary / brake band type - see Ford Model T gearbox for more detail.
The supercharger drive on my radial uses a planetary / brake band arrangement to switch between low and high speeds.
Thanks I'll have a look

I used to run Traxxas UK (RC company for electric and IC models) I have some parts left over from those days, including some gaters, let me have your address and I will send some up to you. We also did an IC model with an auto 2 speed box and reverse (T-Maxx) will try and find some details that might help.

I used to run Traxxas UK (RC company for electric and IC models) I have some parts left over from those days, including some gaters, let me have your address and I will send some up to you. We also did an IC model with an auto 2 speed box and reverse (T-Maxx) will try and find some details that might help.
Thanks Jeff, I've sent you a message

Its been a while since my last update - got a bit distracted during lockdown with other projects - including the rewiring of a denford CNC micro mill.

This weekend I made some more progress on the Mini Caterham project and made the rear wheel hub bearing carriers. The parts were made using the said CNC milling machine

Off topic but one of the most fun R/C cars I owned was a Traxxas Stampede, Went anywhere and I don't think I ever broke anything on it, even taking it over tree roots and down a 30' slide. Great memories!
Jon

Off topic but one of the most fun R/C cars I owned was a Traxxas Stampede, Went anywhere and I don't think I ever broke anything on it, even taking it over tree roots and down a 30' slide. Great memories!
Jon

I sort of recall the feeling because I had a house in the Balearic Islands in Spain and there was a wreck of a Seat 600 but this was one of 32. It was a Noddy one with noroof, factory built and with wicker work seats.
I was doing a City and Guilds in Motor Vehicle Restoration and my plan was to buy it-- and a donor car and bring them home in a furniture van.
The owner of the 600 was a miserable git and his price was astronomical.
Evenually,the car was literally broken into and finished up as infill at the local football ground in Cala N'Porter.
However being me, all was not lost and I'd bought a SEAT 126- old, smelt of fish and almost past it and I taught my two kids when each was 14 to drive on the local beach after the visitors had left for the day.
So Discussion with son about Christmas boxes and I've found that locally kids of 12 can hire a car at the local newcastle race course----- using GrandPa's money- of course.

As one says-- More Anon

Norman.

Sometime in the distant oast, I wanted a Mini Marcos kit car. I was already with a home made Mini Cooper engine---- and was too tall to fit in-- like son's Lotus. The only thing that fits in is my wallet/pocket book!!!!

I'm still 'baby sitting' an immaculate Merc SLK230 Sports

Latest posts

Back