Bugatti straight 8 cylinder with blower, design, 3D printed molds, castings , machining, assembly

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The casting molds, 3D printed

IMG_0949.JPG

Awesome work!! got mine running again after the valve job.
Runs better then ever.
Cant´wait to see yours running.

I did my pump from aluminium and glued the two halves together with jb Weld.
Only a small grey seam is visible.

Have you made the pistons yet? do plan to make oil control rings?
I have some smoking with mine and i just used two compression rings and one grove with holes.

Regards Michael

Attachments

• 20180124_213801 (Large).jpg
    20180124_213801 (Large).jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 407
Awesome work!! got mine running again after the valve job.
Runs better then ever.
Cant´wait to see yours running.

I did my pump from aluminium and glued the two halves together with jb Weld.
Only a small grey seam is visible.

Have you made the pistons yet? do plan to make oil control rings?
I have some smoking with mine and i just used two compression rings and one grove with holes.

Regards Michael

Great job and nice engine, i hope mine works like yours ...
the pistons are already assembled in the engine, I only put 2 piston rings, diameter 26 mm that I found commercial, spare parts for a brush cutter.
My suggestion, If you want to eliminate the smoke, lower the oil level, even a low oil level is enough to lubricate everything, maybe your engine won't do more than 10 / 15,000 km per month...

A question, how did you build the conical water return pipe? machined from solid or wrapped in a brass sheet ?

thank you very much

The pipe is made out of several pieces with different diameter joint by soldering. Then the joints where filed/ground down on the lathe.
The piece is almost cylindrical but looks like conical.

The pipe is made out of several pieces with different diameter joint by soldering. Then the joints where filed/ground down on the lathe.
The piece is almost cylindrical but looks like conical.

If you allow, I have another question:
the carburetor is in the center of the 8 cylinders, between cylinder 4 and 5.
This means that the distance between the carburetor and cylinder 1 is different from distance between carburetor and cylinder 4, did this cause problems or everything are ok?

Cant say its a problem.
You always have different length for the several cylinders unless you use 8 carbs.
A big issue where the bad sealing of the valves. After redoing that the motor runs just nice.
Another issue was oiling up to the distributor. Some oil found its way into the cap.
I will redo the setup with a rubber seal and also a different runner.

WOW, that is so cool and cute, your good and it shows, that is so far above my head, I understand engine and work on them but to machine those parts and get it to run like that, it won't happen in my shop, thanks for sharing, Joe

My distributor, built in Plexiglass, 3 layers glued together ,transparent to facilitate timing
While the rotor rotates I can see if there are sparks jumping into the wrong electrodes

The central electrode was obtained by turning from a brush for an electric motor

IMG_0929.JPG

Graphite central electrode with spring to keep it always in contact with the rotor central electrode

IMG_0975.JPG

Latest posts

Back