Bugatti straight 8 cylinder with blower, design, 3D printed molds, castings , machining, assembly

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rods ready for second phase, 2 holes for M4 screws
there are only 7 because one is already installed on the crankshaft

IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG

Do you make a finished rod first, before starting on the "serial production"?
I did most parts that way for my radial.
My grandson has a very piston shaped money box, which was my first attempt and taught me to check wall thickness before machining!

Do you make a finished rod first, before starting on the "serial production"?
I did most parts that way for my radial.
My grandson has a very piston shaped money box, which was my first attempt and taught me to check wall thickness before machining!

yes , I made 2 finished rods before producing all 8. This is to test the CNC program, assembly on the motor and theoretical compression with a false piston

Piston wrist pin
to make piston shafts I use inductively hardened shafts that are available from diameter 3mm (less than 1/8 inch) in inches from 1/4) the advantage is that the core is still soft, the outside is hardened and ground to h6 tol , is round, straight and cylindrical. to protect the cilinder wall i used teflon pads
the axes are used in linear motion technology ( https://www.thn.nl/files/stream/documents/THN-TS06-NL.pdf)
gr

Last edited:
this material is interesting, there‘s no technical information regarding the internal hardness but it seems possible to make longitudinal holes to lighten the wrist pin
I'm looking for it in Italy, thanks for the suggestion

piston Wrist pin extra

Attachments

• IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 318