Bugatti straight 8 cylinder with blower, design, 3D printed molds, castings , machining, assembly

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also purchased this vacuum pump to test the valves after the repair. For the repair i made a cutter with a Pilot pin.

The comercial plugs are t pricy so i decided to make my own. Besides this ist a Hobby a making parts is fun. The plugs worked nice but after some tme they get wet and stoped firing.

Some time i noticed the valves leaking. i bet the maine Problem where the valves.
Still have a new set plugs that i will test when the engine is together again.
That is an cute little pump!!
I did mine as gearpump. Because the hole crank has ball/needlebearings the pump is only used to feed some oil into the head and lubricate the cam and followers.

Michael

you could check the compression for each cylinder to understand where the leaks are ,valves or piston rings
To do the compression test, better use a small pressure gauge with a one-way valve (e.g. bicycle tire valve) limiting the internal volume as much as possible so as not to increase the volume of the combustion chamber and get an incorrect value.

the crankcase to support the crankshaft

base cilindri rid.jpg

Looks fimilar. I started a 1/4 scale 50T about 15 years ago. It was my first engine attempt. Finishing it would require a total re-design because it was a terrible design to begin with. I think my crankshaft was 17 pieces. Wish I was smarter back then. Makes me happy to see you are doing a way better job.

DSCN0537.JPG

DSCN2107.JPG

Looks fimilar. I started a 1/4 scale 50T about 15 years ago. It was my first engine attempt. Finishing it would require a total re-design because it was a terrible design to begin with. I think my crankshaft was 17 pieces. Wish I was smarter back then. Makes me happy to see you are doing a way better job.

View attachment 115141

View attachment 115142

Your T50 looks very nice, I hope mine becomes the same
I also designed the crankshaft in several parts, I want to mount only bearings, not bronze bushings
In yours there are 2 distributors, I would like to put only one , equal to the Demon V8
To lubricate valves and camshaft have you installed a pump?

Hello!

As a long-time lurker here, I just had to post finally when I saw another Bugatti project in the works...
Really great so far, nice to see the CAD pictures, and waiting for further progress!

I am working on a Type 35 engine myself, bit older and much smaller at 2 or 2.3 liters. In my scale of 1:3 its a 20 mm bore.
Working on that (on and off) since 2013, collecting drawings, books, pictures, visiting museums, annular Molsheim festival...

I also 3D-printed the parts I finished in CAD so far, but not yet with the intention of casting (that will come later), just to see if everything comes together as planned - and of course, to have some nice plastic model standing around to remind me to continue work on it.

Good luck with your project, checking for news daily!

Greetings, Jan

Screen001.jpg
Screen002.jpg
IMG-20200218-WA0011.jpg

Hello!

As a long-time lurker here, I just had to post finally when I saw another Bugatti project in the works...
Really great so far, nice to see the CAD pictures, and waiting for further progress!

I am working on a Type 35 engine myself, bit older and much smaller at 2 or 2.3 liters. In my scale of 1:3 its a 20 mm bore.
Working on that (on and off) since 2013, collecting drawings, books, pictures, visiting museums, annular Molsheim festival...

I also 3D-printed the parts I finished in CAD so far, but not yet with the intention of casting (that will come later), just to see if everything comes together as planned - and of course, to have some nice plastic model standing around to remind me to continue work on it.

Good luck with your project, checking for news daily!

Greetings, Jan

View attachment 115340View attachment 115341View attachment 115342
Hi Jan, Superb workmanship on both the 3D design and the 3D print. I too am working on designing the same engine, but in 1/4 scale. However, I'm thinking that 1/3 might be a better option to make an operable internal combustion engine. I've designed and printed the oil sump, and crankcase. There's so much more to design and then print. I've also 3D designed and mostly built a Bugatti Type 50 engine. My intention is to cast the various pieces in the types of metal that the original engines are made from. Cast iron pieces will be pushing my small shop foundry to its limits.

Hi Doug, and thank you for the kind words!

Yes, with 1/4, things might become a bit tiny... 3 valves with a 15 mm bore - also the fasteners, a lot of M6 and M9 in this engine, which scale a bit better in 1/3.
Design- and "re-engineering"-wise, things get interesting when you come to cylinders and cambox, if you want to do it "scale" and not just outer appearance.
Casting will be a jump into cold for myself, since I have no practical experience. Need to start with simple things and work my way up ;)

But enough derailing of this thread, waiting for progress on that T50 :)

Hi Doug, and thank you for the kind words!

Yes, with 1/4, things might become a bit tiny... 3 valves with a 15 mm bore - also the fasteners, a lot of M6 and M9 in this engine, which scale a bit better in 1/3.
Design- and "re-engineering"-wise, things get interesting when you come to cylinders and cambox, if you want to do it "scale" and not just outer appearance.
Casting will be a jump into cold for myself, since I have no practical experience. Need to start with simple things and work my way up ;)

But enough derailing of this thread, waiting for progress on that T50 :)

Great guys , now I understand I'm not alone in sharing admiration for Bugatti engine , here we are at least 5.
Unfortunately I was not able to visit the Molseim museum, I had planned a weekend in February in that museum but Coronavirus blocked everything.
I purchased a plastic model of the T50 engine to measure the dimensions and make the drawings.
About the aluminum castings , I started a few months ago to do the first experiments, I suggest to see the Myfordboy videos on Yuotube, they taught me a lot .

Great guys , now I understand I'm not alone in sharing admiration for Bugatti engine , here we are at least 5.
Unfortunately I was not able to visit the Molseim museum, I had planned a weekend in February in that museum but Coronavirus blocked everything.
I purchased a plastic model of the T50 engine to measure the dimensions and make the drawings.
About the aluminum castings , I started a few months ago to do the first experiments, I suggest to see the Myfordboy videos on Yuotube, they taught me a lot .
It is nice to see more Bugatti engines being built. I too started with the Pocher model for inspiration. I've gotten as far as making 3D printed PLA patterns to allow me to make rubber molds and then to make lost wax patterns. It's a lot of work and a lot of unknowns since the Bugatti Trust doesn't have any general arrangement plans for this engine. Here are two images of the 3D design I made for the cylinder block and oil sump.

Attachments

• 1a Block.png
    1a Block.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 1a Sump.png
    1a Sump.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 316

Latest posts

Back