Bugatti straight 8 cylinder with blower, design, 3D printed molds, castings , machining, assembly

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foketry

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
1930 , the Italian Ettore Bugatti built the Bugatti T50 car in France.
It was one of the most beautiful cars built in Europe
IMG-6230.JPG
IMG-6231.JPG

Last edited:
That's going to be a big model but a real beauty of one.
Looking forward to your build!

John

Is there, or will there be scaled down blue-prints for this idea. I think if there were they would sell easy. Such a good looking engine, with an amazing history!!!!!

Going to be good Foketry! What have you got for documentation right now?

I thought I recall seeing a model engine, not sure if it was this refernce or not
http://www.bugattibuilder.com/photo/displayimage.php?pos=-22152

Thank you for your suggestion
For reference with size I bought on Ebay an old italian kit 1:8 scale, I read that it is one of the most faithful reproductions
Copy of original designs can also be purchased, but each design costs hundreds of dollars.
I am also in contact with Michelko who has already built this model and has given me some dimensions and photos

plastic Pocher reproduction
Poket.jpg
Poket.jpg

Attachments

• Poket1.jpg
    Poket1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 358
I will follow this build thread for sure. The link above Shows my Bugatti interpretation also based on the Pocher model.

Unfortenatly i had some problems with the engine. At forst i thought th eplugs where the problem. in the mean time i think it was leaking valves. I am still in the process of reworking the valves. Hope i can start it again soon.

Jules, please keep on posting your progress.

Michael

Hi Jules,
do plan to use an oilpump for lubrication of the cams? If yes have you thought About the backflow to the sump?

Michael

Hi Jules,
do plan to use an oilpump for lubrication of the cams? If yes have you thought About the backflow to the sump?

Michael

yes ,I have already bought and tested a small gerotor Chinese pump , now I'm looking for 3 mm diameter oil seal for valves, in order to avoid that the oil is sucked into the combustion chamber through the valve stem.
Everything is in my mind, but I still have to draw
pump.jpg

I will follow this build thread for sure. The link above Shows my Bugatti interpretation also based on the Pocher model.

Unfortenatly i had some problems with the engine. At forst i thought th eplugs where the problem. in the mean time i think it was leaking valves. I am still in the process of reworking the valves. Hope i can start it again soon.

Jules, please keep on posting your progress.

Michael

about the plugs I suggest you use commercial ones with the short thread 1/4 32 or CM6 M10x1 , in the photo of the head at the post #12 you can see the deep holes for plugs

regarding leakage of valves, I use a small manual vacuum pump to do the test after grinding and I make a really small chamfer, max 0.1mm in the edge of the valve cage

I hope this is useful

vacum pump.jpg

I also purchased this vacuum pump to test the valves after the repair. For the repair i made a cutter with a Pilot pin.

The comercial plugs are t pricy so i decided to make my own. Besides this ist a Hobby a making parts is fun. The plugs worked nice but after some tme they get wet and stoped firing.

Some time i noticed the valves leaking. i bet the maine Problem where the valves.
Still have a new set plugs that i will test when the engine is together again.
That is an cute little pump!!
I did mine as gearpump. Because the hole crank has ball/needlebearings the pump is only used to feed some oil into the head and lubricate the cam and followers.

Michael

Attachments

• 20151229_193539.jpg
    20151229_193539.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 487

Latest posts

Back