Budding model engineer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenmaker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

thought I would post my first post into the intro thread.

My name is Warren. I live in Melbourne, Australia.
I am starting down the long journey of machining my first model steam engine from castings.
I have still not decided on which kit to purchase as a very first model.
I have a 13" Liang Dei toolroom lathe and a Bridgeport size mill; or maybe a bit smaller even.
Any suggestions on a suitable first set of castings would be much appreciated thanks. At the moment I am leaning towards a Stuart #7 or a PM research #6.

So, thats it for now, thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Hello Warren, Welcome to HMEM from Warrnambool area in Victoria Australia.
Norm

Another welcome from Sydney .
Both models are good and i can attest that the stuart castings are usually top stuff.
I made the stuart score which is basically a twin 10 h engine but you need to understand that with twin engines alignment is critical when machining the castings otherwise it will bind up badly .
It will really come down to how much you want to spend on a set of castings and if they have to come from outside Australia shipping can cost a bit .
Have a look in Australian model engineer magazine or their website and check out some of the kits from the model engineering supply companies advertising there you may find something you like .

And another welcome from Adelaide

Latest posts

Back