broken saddle lock screw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I broke the screw that locks the saddle to the bed. The lathe is 10x22 G0602 .The screw is probably cross threaded. I'm afraid I'll have to remove the clamp to back out the screw. The top of the screw is broken about 1/8" below the saddle. I am not sure how to remove the saddle clamp. I think I have to separate the saddle from the apron, or at least enough to remove the clamp and screw.
Has anyone have occasion to separate the saddle from the apron?
mike

Today I broke the screw that locks the saddle to the bed. The lathe is 10x22 G0602 .The screw is probably cross threaded. I'm afraid I'll have to remove the clamp to back out the screw. The top of the screw is broken about 1/8" below the saddle. I am not sure how to remove the saddle clamp. I think I have to separate the saddle from the apron, or at least enough to remove the clamp and screw.
Has anyone have occasion to separate the saddle from the apron?
mike

I spent about 4 hours on it today. I separated the saddle from the carriage only 3/16". That was enough to get a 24TPI sabre saw blade over the clamp screw. I had to make a holder for the blade. Hack saw blades were too wide and flimsy. I cut thru the M8 screw , took several hours as the screw is hardened. Pulled the broken piece thru the hole with an Apex magnetic bit. Tomorrow I'll try re-tapping the clamp screw. This is hardened so I might have to anneal it first.
Tough part is done, I'll finish in the morning.

mike

Latest posts

Back