Broadband speed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeltapper

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone out there know of a link to an ACCURATE online speedchecker?

I know of three and the results are so wildly different I don't believe any of them.

Within 30 seconds I can get from .65 on one to 1.9 on another and the third doesn't agree with either.

Roy.

None of them are accurate.

They measure at a point in time between your machine and the selected other point.

The speed between Sydney and Melbourne will be different to the speed between Melbourne and Adelaide. Next comes who your ISP is using for backhaul and last comes what your trying to do. e.g. try the speed between Oz and US when the US is in bed. Then try it when they are awake. Most of the bandwidth is now serving their local customers so there is little left for overseas users. Our NBN will only give good speeds within Oz until the international bandwidths are increased and all our local ISP's and international ISP's are banned from throttling or shaping the dataflow.

So speed tests per se are meaningless. Try downloading several files from different sources, at the same time; and the aggregate of there total size and the time it takes to download them is your average download speed over that period of time.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

Last edited:
Back