British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeprogrammer

Reaction score
I wanted to start this topic with 'When last we left our hero...' but when I looked at my avatar...I couldn't bring myself to it.

I've been trying to come up with a new avatar but to be honest...I think that little kid there has misled many of you to my advantage. ;D More about that kid later.

'The Improved British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive' is the 3rd in the series from Elderberry Steam Engines.

4803137.jpg

As I mentioned in my last work in progress, I wanted to do this because it requires some new skills. Notably silver soldering and sheet-metal. It doesn't hurt that it's a loco. (More about that later too).

And so we begin...

Here's a pic of all the parts that came in the kit.

5abc02ff.jpg

You have to purchase the drain extension tube that is used to make the boiler.

Much of what you see will end up on the 'Wall of Learnings'. But I'd like to think the cup and funnel will survive. Maybe the screws too.

When we finish this, let's remember to go back and see how it compares to the above pic.

And now a maudlin moment...

That avatar is a picture of me shortly after my family moved to Europe. Dad was in the Army and Mom is native German. So we did a lot of traveling and visiting of family. That meant a lot of museums...in particular the Deutches Museum in Munich when I stayed with my grandparents. Opi was a mechanic and I think that's where I got my first smell of a shop. During that time a number of dreams were born. In particular...locomotives. So looking at that kid is a reminder.

It's been 50 years. But one year ago I began the adventure. And a month later I found this forum. I knew virtually nothing about machining then...and what I know now...is in part all you people's fault. Thanks for that. (I leave an appropriate emoticon to you.)

Looks like a great project zee. What scale is it...meaning will it run on O gauge track, HO or other? Also what will be used to fire the boiler? Looking forward to your progress on this one

Bill

Thanks Bill.

The plans call out 027 gauge. Which seems odd. I would've called out O gauge.
I did a quick look on Google. 027 gauge is shorter (in height) and has a tighter circle.
Span is the same...so again, I would've thought O gauge. If anything, to go around with less chance of tip-over.

Thanks for the reminder...need to hunt up some track some time.

Fuel is 'Alcohol: Sterno Liquid Fuel for Fondues'. Something else I know little about...although I enjoyed many a fondue back when they were popular.

The big box stores that cater to caterers and such (Smart and Final is one example) sell the liquid Sterno fuel for use in chafing dishes. My guess is that Coleman fuel or the alcohol sold at Home Depot as a shellac thinner would work just as well.

The plans I have for a steam roller employ the jellied Sterno cans as the heat source. I like that idea since it's unspillable.

Carl/Zee,
Glad to see you're at it again. This looks like a very interesting project. By the way, one of my dreams is to visit the Deutches Museum in Munich. You were a lucky kid to be able to spend time there.
Dennis

I wish you well Zee ;D Will be watching this one closely!

Regards, Arnold

PS: I agree - Deutches Museum IS something to see!

I've had some issues lately, some bumness if you will ;D but it sure felt good to run the lathe and make something today.

[EDIT: didn't mention that it's a bumper for the loco....not that any of you wouldn't know anyway.]

b8ced3a8.jpg

Sorry it's not closer/clearer. Wife stole my SX10 and gave me her old S2IS...I don't think the macro works. I've been interested in Marv's thread on that pocket camera...the macro is astounding. Maybe I can convince wife she forgot a Christmas present for me. Nah. Who am I kidding?)

Marv: Thanks. Shellac thinner eh? Good to know.

Dennis: I was a very lucky kid. Wouldn't trade with anyone.

Arnold: Deutches museum is certainly good to see. So is Munich. People are very friendly there. Those Bavarians enjoy a good time. (And I'm half Bavarian!) I had the opportunity to see it again last year. That was special...hadn't been in Munich in years. Managed to visit my grandparents' graves and see the old apartment building. Many thanks to them. They gave me a great Mom who attracted a great Dad. Sheesh...she's 83 and still bowling at various state tournaments. Oh right...uh...machining...

Someone (we'll just say he's in debt to me - you know who he is) asked some questions that got me to thinking...

Why wasn't the drain extension pipe included in the kit? Is it a way of avoiding litigation? Not at fault cause I didn't get the 'right' pipe?

And why can't I find a single example of this on the web?

Is this thing safe?

Ah well...I do believe in safety valves...let's get further down the road...

If anyone knows of someone who's built this, or seen it on the web, ...let me know.

Uh...well, yep that sure looks like a bumper alright!! Have to agree though, for the price of the kit, it does look like they could have thrown in the drain pipe extension. I am assuming that this loco operates on relatively low pressure, though you are right to think of the safety consideratioins. Its still a boiler whatever the pressure.

If that thing about the wife forgetting a Christmas present works for you let me know. I may try that here !! That little camera has me realoly intrigued as well.

Bill

Looking forward to your build presented in your usual happy style. Bring it on....

Artie

Hey! I've been searching all over the house for that, it's the knob off the bi-fold doors to the pantry! Where ever did you find it Z'? Rof}

Nice looking piece, do you have to duplicate it? Those are the worst pieces to make, you have to get them both pretty close or they look "wrong" That's where CNC machines shine it on, mount the blank, zero set the spindle, push the button and sit back and watch it do its magic. Kinda takes all the fun out of it. Tally HO with your loco, this should be another good ride to tag along on.

BC1
Jim

The Deutchesmuseum in Munich should be on every HMEM-er's bucket list. Truly a cool place for the mechanical-minded. I wandered into 'the history of power' exhibit, starting with neolithic man-power and came out the other end being able to design and build a jet engine or hydro-turbine with not much more than a formal dinner setting. ;D

Friend of mine had a honeymoon in Bavaria. His wife gave him a full day on his own to run around the museum as a present.

Hi Zee!
Glad you are back on a build.
Your first bit looks just great, and I'm sure it's the start of a string of successfully built parts. Keep the M&M's handy.

I feel the need to mention something about fuel. Specifically Coleman fuel. It is basically naphtha, and has a fume and burn characteristic similar to regular gasoline. It cannot be used in an open container that has a fully liquid fuel supply. Just like naphtha, it will "wooof!" if you have any fumes near a fire. It makes the burn rate of alcohol look like a stick of wood. Too volatile to use as a fuel that is not fully separated from the atmosphere.

FWIW, I like young master Zee in your avatar. He's the guy I look for when I'm looking for you, and I'm always looking for your posts.

Dean

Hey Zee,
Is this what you're looking for. I built two of them back in 1977 or '78, one for a friend. The plans were in Live Steam and the design was by James Senft. It's been a while since I have even looked at it but If I can help I'll try.
IMG_0698.jpg

Dave

Drain extention pipe is made from brass and from what I have read on here not good for boilers. But as I'm just a novice also maybe I'm wrong.

John T.

Bill...the instructions indicate adjusting the safety valve until air escapes at 15 PSI. I'm thinking that's low pressure...but is all relative to me. On the other hand...there's nothing questionable when it comes to saying whether the Christmas idea works with wife or not. It won't. And you know it won't. ;D

Thanks Artie.

Jim...I do have to make duplicates. Actually...while I like making the one-off...I wouldn't mind having CNC to make duplicates once I know how to program it with the knowledge gained about metal. I know what you mean about making the pieces look the same. I'd be surprised to get all 4 looking the same..maybe I can get two and two...

Dean...thank you so much. Much appreciated.

Thank you John and Shred. Yeah...Shred talked about that boiler too when I mentioned doing this in my last thread. I talked to another fellow about using a copper pipe instead. We'll review when we get further down the road.

Dave! Yes! That's it! What can you tell me to look out for? Especially the boiler? That doesn't look like a drain pipe. What are the caps made of? Anything about running it? It doesn't have a throttle so does it take off like a banshee? Or run up to a speed that would make me yell 'run!' to my family?

Some how I have an image of Zee in my mind telling the family 'stand outside, I'm gonna light this sucker!'

:D

"somebody call 911!" ............ uh operator, yes, I'd like to report a fire....
:big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

BC1
Jim

"Wake up, honey. You've never seen an explosion like this!"

J. Tranter said:
Drain extention pipe is made from brass and from what I have read on here not good for boilers. But as I'm just a novice also maybe I'm wrong.

John T.

Brass can dezinc or become brittle with old age (read old age as 80 plus or more years).

Its not good for boilers that work at high pressure, or ones that see a lot of use.
But all the toy steam engine manufactuers still use brass for their boilers and a number of them still soft solder them.

SO basically brass is not goos for a 7/12 guage loco, but is ok for the boilers on small 'toy' steam engines, especially one that the safety valve lifts at 14.7 PSI or one atmosphere.
The 14.7PSI is set by legislation as this is the maximum pressure that is allowed to be held by a pressure vessel and be clasified as a toy.

One of my many hobbies is buying old broken to syeam engines (mainly Australian made ones) and fixing them. All of my toy steam egines have brass boilers.

What it boils down to is brass looks prettier when polished than copper, which is what helps sell the toys.

Good luck with the build Zee.
I was looking at that kit myself a few weeks ago. but figured I had enough projects already waiting for me to get to them.

Latest posts

Back