British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Arnold and Kel.

I can't wait to have another go!

For the pressure gauge...is the 3/32 OD brass tubing I got for the steam dome okay? I was looking for 1/4" but there is none at HD. I haven't made it to the hobby shop to look there.

zeeprogrammer said:
Thanks Arnold and Kel.

I can't wait to have another go!

For the pressure gauge...is the 3/32 OD brass tubing I got for the steam dome okay? I was looking for 1/4" but there is none at HD. I haven't made it to the hobby shop to look there.
You may have trouble making a loop in brass tubing, but pretty much anything should work. Plastic too if it can be kept from melting.

It is possible you're trying to flip the engine over too soon. It takes quite a while to get steam up. Water will start leaking from every orifice, and then that water will start to boil away once it's ready to go. If you don't have any water seepage, one thing I do is drip a little water on the outside of the boiler.. if it doesn't boil as it runs off, the water inside isn't at boiling temp either.

I sometimes overfill my little loco since it has a Goodall valve and no sight glass. In that case, water comes oozing up out of the safety and valves and what all as it warms up, and the first few flips of the cylinder squirts hot water around the place.

Although it's poor practice, and can be fatal in larger sizes, running a tiny boiler like this dry for a brief period isn't the end of the world. You may have to repaint, but think about the soldering temperatures that went into making it and they didn't hurt it any.

I still don't have the appropriate material to make the pressure gauge system. But I'm thinking the problem is not pressure.

It may be that I'm not waiting long enough to get pressure...but it could be something else. When the loco is filled with water and fuel, a little push will have the loco move many inches. It rolls pretty easily. But when I steam it, and I do get steam, the drive wheels seem to lock up. I'm thinking the previous suggestions by some of you may be key here. I have the pistons 180 degrees out of phase. Perhaps they are fighting each other.

I've tried two more times today with no success but some improvement. (I took my Fat Boy torch to it.)

Tomorrow I'm going to change the phasing of the drive wheels and give it another go.

Successful or not...I'm going to have to make a decision. I need to get moving on.

Oh...right...I guess I made that decision. :-\

Zee, when you think it's time to set it aside, it's time. It runs, and you know it. It looks good, and we all
know it. You want to do other things in your shop, and the neat thing is, the loco won't mind! Play with
it on air now and then, and work out the steam bugs another time, whenever you feel like it.

You did a great job. I had a lot of fun watching and commenting to this thread. I even liked the wrecks.
Thanks!

Dean

I'm with Dean on that one Zee. You've climbed a mountain with this build. You've built a foundation that will serve you well as you expand your activities. That loco is gonna look real fine up there on your mantel. When you retire, it will be there, waiting for you to give it those final tweaks, taking your own sweet time.

Thank you Dean and Trout.

"So...this is it...we're all gonna..." 'say drat'.
(Think Hitch-Hiker's Guide.)

Time to put it aside.

I changed the phasing this morning and it did help. But it still wouldn't go. This afternoon I set it in a vise so that the wheels would be more free to turn. Still better but it wouldn't go. There's heat and steam but not enough pressure. I'm sure it's the cylinders and piston fit. That's what I've always had trouble with and I was expecting the same here.

It's my inexperience and insufficient attention to the true-ness of my lathe. It's one of the things I want to work on. (Er...both things I guess.)

Although a somewhat disappointing end...this has been great fun and has given me the knowledge that I can and will do better as I gain experience. Many many thanks to all of you for following and contributing to this thread. It has meant a lot.

I did manage to learn something about sheet-metal, silver-soldering, and boilers along with a whole slew of things from all of you.

And it did run on air!

As for the next project...it includes:
Gears. How to cut them. I want to continue learning different aspects of this hobby.
Finger-treadle engine. Something I saw when I first joined this forum.
Governors. Always liked them and Cedge, Brian and Firebird have awakened that interest.

So a finger-treadle engine, driving some gears that I hope to cut, that drives a governor. (An issue will be the variable finger speed.) If that works...I got some other ideas.

A 'small' project because I have other things I'd like to do. My garage is getting finished this fall and I want to empty the rest of the basement and set up some woodworking stuff. I want to make bases for the engines, picture frames, and small boxes which is an interest I've had for a long time. (I'm hoping there's room to set up a train set.) I may do a video of the current digs for reference.

Time is a problem. The project at work is going to beta and that will require long hours. In addition, it looks like I'm going to be making several trips to our manufacturing plant in Mexico.

Say....any reason why I couldn't use that boiler with another engine?

Apologies for the disappointment. I hope you all found it entertaining. I certainly did and am very grateful for all the help and interest.

Once 'mini-zeepster' stops crying (he so wanted to ride the choo-choo) I'll get started. :big:

Great thread,

And a great running locomotive.

A lot of new machining techniques and learning curves you achieved.

A lot of detail machining on the parts.

All this adds up to a Succesful build....

Congradulations on a well built project...

zeeprogrammer said:
So a finger-treadle engine, driving some gears that I hope to cut, that drives a governor. (An issue will be the variable finger speed.) If that works...I got some other ideas.

Zee,

When the governor detects an overspeed condition, have it trip a switch which will energize a taser. That will get your attention and I'll bet the engine will slow down too.

::) :big:

SAM

Mate, its been a great ride. And im very glad I caught this train.

its not over, it never is. I also take breaks from projects, its how I maintain my enthusiasm for longer ones. There is not law saying you cant pick this up in 3 months time and have a light bulb light up over your head, inspiration spraying all over the place.... I look forward to that day... and another dancing puppet....

I enjoy several things about your build. The topic was great but mainly your writing style is good, I enjoy the journey as much as the subject....

So my point is.....

Revel in what you have achieved.... you will achieve more....

P.s. if you want to see woodwork, just ask, its my 'other' love..... and Ive just been on a pic frame production line.... having a break from them to!

P.s.s. I do understand about the work infringing upon your leisure time... I'm glad my kids are grown and flown.....

Well done,

Rob

And so the tour...

My kids accuse me of sounding like a doofus when I do this kind of thing. And I must admit, it's not how I usually sound (I think). I tell them it's the kid in me trying to get out. So I shall remain true to myself and post it anyway. ;D

Thanks for the tour Zee.

Your right, it does look like alot of computers :big:

The machines look good sittin on such clean benches, not a bit of swarf in sight........ Sheesh....are you making parts for NASA on the side and not telling us ;D

Kel

That's a nice wrap up video to your exploits so far, Zee. It's nice to get a peek behind the scenes after reading so many posts from members. Truly a comfortable-looking man cave. I've never seen a phone mounted so close to the floor. Is that because the beer and wine storage is nearby? You don't have to answer that... ;D

I'm gonna give you a pass for using a Mac since they use Intel processors now. :big:

Like you, I love my mini mill but I can take or leave the 7x10 lathe. If I get the opportunity I may switch that out for a better one. I'd better do that before I retire.

Thanks Kel. The swarf is there. I just didn't take a close up. I do keep it off the floor...wife and kids tend to come down here and I don't want them stepping into it. They don't visit me...it's the fridge (beer) and cabinet (wine) they're after. (I say kids...but they're 26 and 23.)

On the other hand, I now have a 1 year old grand-daughter. I've failed to have my own daughters see the joy of engineering...maybe Sydney will spend time with Poppie.

Thanks Trout. I know what you mean about the Mac. I've been playing around with apps for iPhone...there's no other choice for a development system. As much as I get aggravated with Windows...the Mac too often represents 'being different' for the sake of 'being different'. But that's a whole 'nother forum. ;D And I never got over the early Macs being a closed system and not allowing you to play with the hardware...as little of it as there was. (Except the Apple II...that was a great machine.)

The reality of the phone placement is that it was convenient. Not enough desk space. But it's right next to me. The joke is it's close should I break a leg during machining. :big: Or, as you've alluded to...

I'm looking to go for a Sherline when I've proved to 'T' that this is a real thing (hobby) for me. She seems okay with that...just not the right time.

I really enjoy the shop tour, Zee. I like hearing a voice put to all your writing, too.
Your place looks nicely laid out, to me. Tools are pretty handy, enough space , and the
grinder well, well away from your precious machine ways! You get an 'A' for that.
The table where your projects set represent a gift you've given yourself in the way of skills.
Well done.
The location of the phone and first aid kit seem to represent forward thinking in the case of
an unhappy event, like if you end up on the floor. Good preparation skills.
Nice shop all around, I think! You have everything you need to make everything you need.
Many folks would be quite at home there. I sure would.

Thanks!

Dean

Thanks for the tour Zee really enjoyed it and thanks for sharing you're build it has been a great journey with its ups and downs .I am sure that the problems will be overcome at a later date
Best wishes Frazer

Yep thanks for shop tour Zee, your shop is just so tidy, are you sure your a programmer? :)

I'm sure you'll get the engine sorted for steam soon enough when you pick it up again. Meanwhile you could make it into a nice static on your rolling road and run it in some more.

Thanks for sharing your build it has been a great thread to follow.

Nick

Zee,

Very nice shop.

How do you use that phone with it tied to the wall with wire?

:big:

SAM

Thanks Dean, Frazer, Nick and SAM.

Glad you enjoyed the tour.

Nick...there's more than one kind of code monkey. I'm not one of those Frito eating, Mountain Dew drinking, Jolt slogging monkeys. I'm a Pepsi drinking, Nacho Dorito eating monkey. Well actually, these days it's a coffee monkey. Except in the evenings...then it's my jelly jar. ;D No more Doritos either. 'she' won't let me have any :(

SAM in LA said:
How do you use that phone with it tied to the wall with wire?

Reliably.

Oh...you'll remember the fridge in the tour. My brother-in-law is here for a visit. Gave him a tour of the shop. This is the 2nd time a visitor said..."Cool...What's in the fridge?"

zeeprogrammer said:
No more Doritos either. 'she' won't let me have any :(

Well, there's a simple solution. Eat puffy Cheetos. Isn't that 'puter geek food, too?

What IS in the fridge. Missed that part on the vid.

Dean

Back