British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1000th POST!!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Kel

zeeprogrammer said:
And so the tour...

My kids accuse me of sounding like a doofus when I do this kind of thing.

At least you have to do something for the kids to respond such. . .

Good job on the Choo Choo, followed the whole process and your stick to it attitude is a goody. Makes me really miss my little lathe thats buried somewhere in the moved-sort-organize-50 some odd dump runs later-when I find the time pile.

Not the same as doing one myself but ridding along on your travel comes close.

Robert

I can't believe this is all over; 7 Months, over 1000 posts, nearly 30000 views and you are 99% there. Grab one of those off-limits beers, sit in the couch, think about it for 10 mins. And then get it finished please.

Pete

Dean...if I remember right...I'd said the fridge was "mostly empty". That I couldn't keep beer in it because of daughter. Later I worried that she'd see the video and think I had called her an alcoholic. She's not. She just enjoys a beer now and then. Other than that, the fridge has left-overs and the occasional melon. ;D

Puffy Cheetos...I love them. But pity the idiot that eats those at a keyboard.

Kel...wow. 1000 posts!

Robert! Thanks for following along. Get your shop together and make something.

Foozer said:
At least you have to do something for the kids to respond such. . .

No effort at all.

Pete. I'm thinking I'm thinking. It's just 10 parts to redo (cylinder, piston head, rod, piston end, and pivot pin..times 2). But I'm going to be busy for a while and the lathe needs to be adjusted. I have no idea how difficult it will be to true the lathe...or if it can be done (by me). For one thing, the tailstock sits high and I can't shim the headstock. I don't have the skill to grind the tailstock down. On the other hand, most of the error in the parts is due to me...not the lathe. So maybe adjusting the lathe the best I can, and being more careful and precise in cutting...I'm thinking I'm thinking.

zeeprogrammer said:
I'm going to be busy for a while and the lathe needs to be adjusted. I have no idea how difficult it will be to true the lathe...or if it can be done (by me). For one thing, the tailstock sits high and I can't shim the headstock. I don't have the skill to grind the tailstock down.

Sounds like drastic action for a relatively new lathe. Not that I'd have any suggestions for remedy but are you sure? Maybe a picture or two showing the problem may elicit some suggestions for you.

Pete

doubletop said:
Maybe a picture or two showing the problem may elicit some suggestions for you.

Funny that. I've been thinking about it all day. Just now came downstairs with a bit of kerosene to clean up the lathe with the intention of taking various pics showing the problem (er...problems) with the alignment of the lathe.

I remember when I joined the forum several posts about twist in the lathe bed and how to mount the lathe on a bench. Being the ham-fisted, twist it/wrench it/hammer it until it submits kind of guy (which is not true...if I say 'dear?' and get one raised eyebrow...I'm outta there...two eyebrows is something else), and more importantly, now that I have some 'experience', I'm interested in seeing how I can improve the lathe.

Keep in mind...the lathe might be fine. I may just need to be better at machining.

You're not going to let me go, are you Pete? :big:

No I'm not; you've got your audience on the edge of their seats and you are just going to walk off the stage? I don't think so....

Pete

doubletop said:
No I'm not; you've got your audience on the edge of their seats and you are just going to walk off the stage? I don't think so....

Kind of a long show. And I ran out of popcorn...I don't want people resorting to what's under their seats. :big:

Thanks Pete.

OK so lets just call it an intermission. Audience can go to the bar and the main act can freshen up.

..............then its back into it for the finale

Pete

doubletop said:
OK so lets just call it an intermission. Audience can go to the bar and the main act can freshen up.

..............then its back into it for the finale

Pete

Okay. Gives me a chance to repair the stage and adjust the lighting.

It'll be a long intermission. I'm manning the bar. :big:

If what you find is the tailstock, way out of alignment, then work can be done on the bottom of the tailstock, but if it's too much of a factory defect, then littlemachineshop.com has all the spare parts, for your lathe.

hobby said:
If what you find is the tailstock, way out of alignment, then work can be done on the bottom of the tailstock, but if it's too much of a factory defect, then littlemachineshop.com has all the spare parts, for your lathe.

If it is a factory defect and the parts do not meet the published specifications, shouldn't you go back to the manufacture for warranty?

SAM

SAM in LA said:
If it is a factory defect and the parts do not meet the published specifications, shouldn't you go back to the manufacture for warranty?

Bought it a year and a half ago. At the time I wouldn't have known if it was out of spec. Since then, I've banged it up pretty good and even modified it (said modification not working too well).

And, given the manufacturer/vendor, I suspect I could get something the same or even worse. If it comes to it, I'll get a replacement from Little Machine Shop. They're a good vendor and if I need to swap out a new one...I'm sure they'll be a big help.

Thanks SAM.

What a great tour Zee. Wow, you have lots of space too...I am envious :) If you do eventually go the route of Sherline, I don't think you will be disappointed though you might lose some size capabilities. The accuracy is there though!! Just factor in some extra $$ over time for accessories.

Thanks for sharing the shop video.

Bill

doubletop said:
Zee

If you need more balls (OK we'll skip the innuendo) just go to your local bike store. They'll have heaps of new ones in all the standard sizes. I think I paid $3 for a bag of 20. That may or may not be cheap but its a convenient source.

Pete

DON'T DO THIS IT'S A BAD SUGGESTION - SORRY

Bike ball bearings aren't stainless and if you use them in safety valves they rust and seize. How do I know? got my Rob Roy up to 80 psi and had nothing from the 2 safety's. Gave the plunger a tug with some pliers and a gush of rusty steam came out.

If you've used bike shop ball bearing in your safety valves take them out and throw them away. Please.

Sorry about that

Pete

My sad state of affairs...

ff1e0dda.jpg

As you all know, I'm in the midst of some renovation and a bunch of stuff has invaded my shop. Including, squash and tomatoes everywhere.

I hate squash.
But she makes a killer salsa and tomato soup. (That's a 'neener' to you know who you are.)

Unfortunately she doesn't do a good job of rotating recent harvests. Something smells down here...and it's not the well known fragrance of 'me'. I know 'me' and prefer it (although others may not).

It's nearly November and tomatoes are still coming in. But she's having to fight off the wildlife as they prepare for winter.

Sometimes I put a dab of oil on my hands...just to get the smell. (I mean really, I like 'me' but there are times...)

A dab of oil on your hands ??? ??? ???

Are you certain it is just for the smell *ahem* :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}

(sorry Z') extra ripe veggies can get to be a bit on the aromatic side. My wife has a thing for tomatoes and every once in a while one will become fragrant, I can tell as soon as I come into the kitchen. She usually is very good about checking each one over alomost on a daily basis, I find it amusing. "has it changed color or position in the last 12 hrs" is my normal comment. But hey, it makes her happy so what am I to say anything.

BC1
Jim

Rof} Rof}

Carl, better spread some of that oil on your lathe and mill as well; tomato vapor will make your tools rust....

And NO - don't try decorative machining on the squash - there's stuff in the kitchen to make it into pumpkin pie ;)

Latest posts

Back