Briggs & Stratton 6S

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really nice work, Bill! Looks and sounds just like it's big brother. Makes me want to tackle my model of a Lister D.

Chuck

Thanks kvom, but already had that honor back last april or may when it was still a work in progress. I do appreciate the comment though.

Bill

Beautiful job Bill, now I will have to go and read the build log. What a wonderful way to spend time - much better than TV. Thanks.

Jim

Bill,

That Sir is one beautiful model and it runs a treat. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Wow.

I'd somehow missed the video and am very glad I came across it today.
Beautiful work.
I really enjoyed the build thread too.

Thanks Jake and Zee. I am still fiddling with a throttle mechanism but gaining on it. So far it still starts and runs great though even at idle, though it is still burning some oil and hope that is just a matter of the rings seating better.

Bill

it is still burning some oil

I have never had a full size B&S that didn't burn some oil. You just demonstrated your ability to recreate the operational deficiencies of the original. ;)

Still running is 2-3 times a day for 3-4 minutes at idle, at least as time permits...seems to be imrpoving some. Wondering how much runtime it takes to seat the rings well ? Also want to try it without oil in the coleman fuel but at $10 a gallon I don't want to waste the gallon already mixed :big:

Bill

When rings wouldn't seat, old time mechanics would let the carburetor suck a bit of powdered BonAmi. Just a very mild abrasive.
You may have finished the piston and bore too good.

Awesome Bill. Now you need a half scale tiller to mount it to.
Alan

A lot of people don't know what the applications of that Briggs 6S engine may have been.

I can show you at least one.
(Pay no attention to the bald man in the video!) LOL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77JUDCyNLaU[/ame]

That was before I restored the 6S engine.
It and the mower had been dormant for almost 50 years when I got it.

Excellent build Bill!
I have a feeling yours will last as long.

Being a Briggs collector, I've loved every post of it!

Rick

That trick with the Bon Ami sounds good. As I recall, Bon Ami is the same stuff as TimeSaver lapping compound which breaks down into non-abrasive particles. Old time mechanics were pretty smart people.

Jim

rake60 said:
I can show you at least one.

I used to have a mower just like that when I was a kid! No idea what happened to it...

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and comments. Rick, I may have a bit more hair, but you got me on your far more healthy looking figure. BTW I am still interested in that "Y" nor have I forgotten something you are still due. Taking a short break though I have started on the 1/4 scale Rider-Ericsson and will start a log on that soon. Our annual swap meet is this Saturday...never know what interesting old iron may show up.

The little Briggs is still running good...hopefully someone will enjoy it 50 years from now...lol

Bill

Latest posts

Back