Briggs & Stratton 6S - A Beginnig

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Is Drop Dead Gorgeous Bill! :bow:

It starts on the second pull? That's GREAT!!!!!

The REAL old cast iron Briggs engines are usually cold blooded buggers.
They can be tough to start but once they warm up they'll run all day.

If you have a problem getting them to that point, it's probably because
you're using the right words when you talk to them.
Ask me how I know that. I can send you the list of necessary words but
your email server may block or refuse it. ;)

Beautiful build!
Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

Rick

After watching this thread for over two years, it was SO WORTH IT! Congrats, Bill!
Gee, sounds just like a little Briggs, too. ;D
Wonderful!

Bill

What can I say man but congratulations and a well done!

She's beautiful!

That's masters status with me.....dream it and then, make it happen!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Dave

Beautiful! Congratulations. You should be proud.

Absolutely fantastic Bill :bow: Not that I expected anything less watching the way you have gone through this project. I'm always amazed with stuff like this, that it actually sounds like the real thing!

:bow:

Great to see it going Bill, that really is a very impressive build

The final results are excellent. We have all followed the journey waiting for this day. On top of being an outstanding build it is unique in the world of model engines. I'm hoping for your sake that it has enough flywheel to get the rpm down but I have found that when you scale an engine down the centrifugal action of a scale wheel just doesn't have enough inertia at slower speeds.
Once again, outstanding build. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Yipppeeeee!!!. The sweet sounds of my youth. woohoo1 woohoo1 th_wav th_wav th_wav th_wav

The sore arms from pulling the rope. :redface2: :redface2: :redface2: The rope breaking and me falling down. :rant: :rant:

On second thought I sure liked them wind up starters when they came out. Thm:

Ron

Many thanks to all for following along on this build and for your support along the way. There remain a few things to do yet like a throttle mechanism, seeing how things wear in after a few hours of run time (meaning I hope it won't self destruct), and as george mentioned, working towards a lower idle speed too. I think the flywheel, being an almost solid chunk of brass will have enough inertia, the issue for new seems more a problem of controlling the butterfly valve and needle valve. Playing around with the timing may help the lower end too, will just have to see in the coming week.

Again thanks to all of you for the comments. If nothing else I do hope it represents a unique model that many of us have ties to from our youth or from collecting and restoring older Briggs engines.

Bill

Bill

I think every one else has used up all the words of praise already. I fully agree with every one of them. Thanks for letting us look over your shoulder while you created this masterpiece. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

from a briggs master service tech thanks its been wondeful following on this build great to hear it run
many thanks for letting us share
its the sort of build i dont feel like sitting under my bench howling about my feeble efforts and seeing the toils and troubles along the way makes it all the more at home with us
well done
now for the opposed twin version?

this is is a fine piece of workmanship, something to be real proud off. also enjoyed hearing it run, fine job. jonesie

Congratulations Bill!

A fine piece of model engineering which sounds just like the real thing.

Awesome Bill.
I'm really happy to see this after my being away so long.
Absolutely beautiful work.
Congratulations!

Latest posts

Back