Briggs & Stratton 6S - A Beginnig

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To paraphrase a certain motel advertisement-
"I'll leave the computer on" and listen for pops.
Lovely work.
Gail in NM

Update from last night...mostly good. There were pops...several sustained pops for maybe 5 seconds...so that is the good news. I am now 100% confident this thing is gonna run...followed by semi-huge smile and very huge sigh of relief. The ignition system seems to work perfectly, there is good compression, and if anything my earlier concerns as to the ability of the carb to suck fuel up from the gas tank through the dip tube and deliver it with air to the cylinder were totally unfounded. If anything it does that too well, and what few short bursts there were had the needle valve open only a half turn or so. More will need to be done on that and finding just the right starting and run settings, and its still too soon to tell how well the carb will throttle the engine but all the basics are there....spark, fuel, compression, etc.

The only real downside was that I had loctited the crankshaft gear onto the crankshaft hoping this would hold it steady until the valve timing was "proven," but this was not the case. While it didn't actually break loose, it did rotate some, enough to mess up the valve timing, which resulted in some slight interference also between the connecting rod and one of the cam lobes. This will be taken care of today by pinning the gear to the shaft as was the intent all along, and polishing up the con rod a bit. Due to several late changes in the con rod for clearance purposes (aside from the above problem), I will in all probability remake it though the present one is fully functional and tests will continue with it.

The enginie is now in parts again pending these changes, with reassembly tonight and with hopes of a more sustained run.

As a side note, with a pulley on one end of the crankshaft and the starter hub on the flywheel side, it pretty much falls to the scale starter rope wound around the starter hub and pulled as in the old days to turn the engine over for starting. This I think just adds to the scale appeal of the model, but it does require that the LH nut be torqued well. Once that was done though I had no problems with the nut and starter hub wanting to loosen from the pull cord. At present there is no key between the flywheel and shaft, as this would make ignition timing changes almost impossible, but once all that is figured out and settled on, this may be added. For now the taper in the flywheel bore and the matching taper on the shaft are holding well and more than sufficient for the continuation of tests and fine tuning.

All in all it was a long and if not totally successful night, one that still has me pumped up and eager to cross the finish line.

Thanks to all for the comments, wishes, and for checking in.

Bill

one final comment...if things go well tonight I will try to post at least a short video, but as luck would have it, I will be traveling on business from Sat afternoon through Tuesday and will have time to make a better video once I return. After 2+ years, whats a couple of days though right? :big:

Ditto! Waiting patiently.....ok not really patiently ;D

Dave

Thanks Arnold, Dave and Ron....from what i heard all too briefly its going to make a sweet putt-putt sound at idle anyway.

Bill

Its alive, its alive!!! Will try do make and post a video after dinner even if crude for now.

Congrats on first pop Bill :bow:
hanging out for the Video :big:
Pete

Congrats well dun you I have enjoyed this build 5 **** to you regards bob

b.lindsey said:
Its alive, its alive!!! Will try do make and post a video after dinner even if crude for now.

Don't worry about it! I got video of the absolute first run of both my V4 and V8. They smoke like crazy and bearly run but I post them anyway. I do it because I'm excited but I also think people should see that first runs are not pretty. That way they won't think something is wrong when they start theirs for the first time.

Great news Bill. I know how it feels when a long running project comes to a successful end. It's time to enjoy seeing your creation do its thing.

Vince

Bill-

Congrats!!!

I can't wait to see the video!

-Bob

Here you go...its a little rough yet but it is going round and round on its own. The garage isn't great for sound either but I still have to get ready for travel tomorrow so this will have to do for now. More once I get back on Tuesday. Thanks for all your patience and needless to say i am happy with the results especially for the first sustained run. There is no throttle linkage yet so thats what im fiddling with at times in the video. And the carb is far more sensitive that I had expected...there will need to be some more fine tuning on that... the needle valve was barely open at all for these runs and it still seems as if its too rich.

Bill

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5w-t4-sM8A[/ame]

That's great Bill.
Your short trip is going to seem like a month as you wait to get back to play.
:bow: :bow:
Gail in NM

Bill

That was great! I've enjoyed the whole thing from the start. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Cheers, Joe

Bill-

Beyond cool. The first engine I ever rebuilt was a small B&S like that in Intro to Auto Shop back in high school. Your engine is priceless. Well worth the wait.

-Bob

Latest posts

Back