Briesch Steam Hammer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techonehundred

Reaction score
I Picked up a casting set and plans for Paul Briesch's Steam hammer at Cabin Fever. However when I got them home, I looked at the plans and sections of the plans are unreadable. Especially s17 s18 and s19. Any advice where I could get these would be helpful.

Cool, I have started modeling in F360, so even just images of the plans and I will be good.

I remember seeing photos of a Paul Briesch Worthington Pump some years ago that was
absolutely gorgeous, and it was obvious that the casting kit must have been absolutely
gorgeous, so am hoping you post photos of your steam hammer build, anticipating it to also
be a gorgeous model.

which brings me to a recurring though, what happened to the patterns, I think there should
be a museum of sorts where patterns for old casting kits are kept, and digitized so they
can be 3-D printed and "lost-plastic" cast by the enthusiastic modeler (not my thing
personally, but I think it should be possible for folks that are into that).

Last edited:
This one is a little bigger than the Stuart Hammer, and will be an interesting challenge. I hope to put the build online. I am also trying to model it in Fusion 360 so it would be pretty easy to make casting patterns from that.

Yes, Steaming. I have tried contacting them. No luck yet, but still trying.

I may or may not have some drawings, I had a casting (sold it) and I left the other piece that looks like a cannon at the estate thinking it was part of a toy cannon. all that stuff that I left at the estate is gone, but I do have paper related to some models and I have a box or two of model parts that I haven't had time to look at.

Just pm me and to let me know how to take care of any trouble and cost.
I have them also and are "scanned" (actually were photographed on a copy stand). if you want them as well, let me know. I would be happy to send a slow email stream of the pics to you.

BTW, I have two of these kits and built about 85% of the model. I was stopped by a flaw in the cylinder casting, in both kit,s as the internal passage was plugged. Seems the core failed during casting. The kits came to me after my Father died and were opened but never machined. Dad went to the model shows and I suspect he bought one kit there. Since there were two kits and one set was mailed to him, I wonder if he had checked the passage, found it plugged, and Paul Breisch mailed a second kit to him. I reckon I'll never know.
In any event, I'd like to find a cylinder in which to finish the model. I understood the patterns/rights were purchased by Myers Models and then Myers was purchased by Gary Martin, but when I contacted Gary he replied that he didn't purchase the Breisch steam hammer model.

If anyone has a cylinder casting or knows who has the pattern, please PM me.

- Reed

I also finished the Stuart Steam Hammer model and the two together would have been nice on the shelf. Oh well . . .

I have them also and are "scanned" (actually were photographed on a copy stand). if you want them as well, let me know. I would be happy to send a slow email stream of the pics to you.

BTW, I have two of these kits and built about 85% of the model. I was stopped by a flaw in the cylinder casting, in both kit,s as the internal passage was plugged. Seems the core failed during casting. The kits came to me after my Father died and were opened but never machined. Dad went to the model shows and I suspect he bought one kit there. Since there were two kits and one set was mailed to him, I wonder if he had checked the passage, found it plugged, and Paul Breisch mailed a second kit to him. I reckon I'll never know.
In any event, I'd like to find a cylinder in which to finish the model. I understood the patterns/rights were purchased by Myers Models and then Myers was purchased by Gary Martin, but when I contacted Gary he replied that he didn't purchase the Breisch steam hammer model.

- Reed

I also finished the Stuart Steam Hammer model and the two together would have been nice on the shelf. Oh well . . .
For those who may be interested in the model, this is a "reverse" of the assembly print. It was my PC's background while I was working on it.

Attachments

• SteamHamB_S3-14-a1-invert.jpg
    SteamHamB_S3-14-a1-invert.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

- Reed

message sent.

Latest posts

Back