Brian builds a Corliss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a first time "Paint everything", I'm pretty pleased with this. There is almost as much work painting everything as there is in machining it. I'm happy with my Canadian maple leaf. I bought a little flag at the five and dime and used it as reference while I hand sketched the same leaf only about 3/4 as large as the one on the flag to make it fit. I wasn't sure enough of my ability to paint it right onto the white base, so I cut out a piece of 0.060" steel and painted it red, then epoxied it onto the base.
R1i06S.jpg

wGekPv.jpg

LGYxUz.jpg

3tNupz.jpg

Very nice. Is that a flat belt pulley out on the outboard end of the flywheel that you could run another piece of equipment with, if you were inclined to do so?

Almega---It could be. I have all kinds of pulleys with 3/8" bores kicking around my shop, left over from things I made in the past. I actually stuck it on there to prevent endplay in the crankshaft.

Brian, Just had to tick the "like" button. Another successful good looking model! - WELL DONE SIR!
I guess that is the feed or exhaust pipe coming out of the top valve chest and sweeping down through the base-board? Do you ever expect to try it on steam? - Or is it purely an "Air" engine? (I presume the pipe through to the underside valve chest in the converse exhaust or feed-pipe).
I like the connection. - Proper flanged joints on these models make them a lot more realistic than my nut-and-olive joints, but not so convenient when setting-up for shows. My "Pet-hate" when set-up and people are photographing a table full of models, is that most people arrange their feeds right at the top of the model (for convenience) so the plastic air-feed pipe ends up draped all over the models. (And refuses to lie-down!). More clart making it half tidy than I like. But just a couple of guys add the extra bits of pipe-work so it appears that the "steam" is supplied up through the floor, via a flange-joint on the engine as you have (with a discrete air-feed connection hidden beneath the base). A nice detail.
K2

Okay Guys---We're all finished here. The paint turned out really pretty, my Canadian maple leaf shows up just fine, and the engine runs well. It is mounted in the old wooden base that was built for the Rupnow Engine about ten years ago. There is a degree of "Wonkiness" going on with the flywheel hub, but sometimes that happens with a built up flywheel. I want to take the summer off now, I've built three engines over the past winter, and I'm burned out on machining things. Have a really great summer!!!---Brian

Have a great summer Brian. I for one will miss having one of your engine build adventures to follow.
Gary

Okay Guys---We're all finished here. The paint turned out really pretty, my Canadian maple leaf shows up just fine, and the engine runs well. It is mounted in the old wooden base that was built for the Rupnow Engine about ten years ago. There is a degree of "Wonkiness" going on with the flywheel hub, but sometimes that happens with a built up flywheel. I want to take the summer off now, I've built three engines over the past winter, and I'm burned out on machining things. Have a really great summer!!!---Brian

Congratulations on the completion!!!

Hopefully you will pop in on occasion just to chat and socialize - - -yes?

Thank you for following my posts and for the comments. I am going to try to do something different now.----Staying out of my machine shop for a few months until fall. I have built so many engines over the last ten years, and spent so much time in my shop, that a few months away from my shop might be a good thing for me. I've sat around the house doing nothing for the last few days, and I said to my wife that I don't know what the heck I did with my life before getting into building small engines. I'm not really sure that I can do this, but I'm going to try.----Brian

Maybe it would be a good time for a road trip. North America is a big place with a lot to see. You might not have to go that far, 'cause there's a lot to see and do in your region. Anyway, enjoy the summer off as best you can.

Hi Brian,

Even doing stuff you like can become a rut if it's taking up most of a life. I think the Australian term for breaking out of a deep rut is having a walkabout. Sounds like it's time for one. I sure need to just go do something completely different from the routine every now and then. Have a great summer, have some fun. Grow some crazy hot peppers and a few types of basil and learn to cook Szechuan and Thai style :)

Stan

Hi Brian,

Even doing stuff you like can become a rut if it's taking up most of a life. I think the Australian term for breaking out of a deep rut is having a walkabout. Sounds like it's time for one. I sure need to just go do something completely different from the routine every now and then. Have a great summer, have some fun. Grow some crazy hot peppers and a few types of basil and learn to cook Szechuan and Thai style :)

Stan

That last part sounds like a plan!!!!!!!
Dunno if I can take flat out serious heat though!!! (In muh grub yuh know!!)

Latest posts

Back