Brass variety... gotta love it

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
I buy most of my brass from local scrap yards, which means it usually mystery metal day, when I get home. It also means that, to paraphrase Forest Gump , It's like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get. I've certainly managed to discover that all brass is not the same . I've wound up with a variety, ranging from 260, 360, Red, Naval, bronze and one that appears to be nickel silver, not to mention a couple that have, so far defied, identification.

Here is a photo showing several different blends and the color variations. I have more color variations, but they were too deep in the metal stack to easily dig out. I placed a piece of steel, copper and aluminum in the photo for a bit wider color comparison.

brass-compare.jpg

The colors range from a pink/red to warm pink, to honey gold, summer wheat, yellow and almost "white". Each one turns differently from the next, with the yellow and white running amazing strings of curled swarf. The bronzes and the other brasses turn with small chips or tight little hooks. Each also seems to like a different angle of tool attack

This one is today's purchase and is still a mystery metal, although a bit of Googling seems to indicate it is probably Leaded Nickel Silver - 10%. It has a slight golden cast but tends more to a silver color. It's pretty hard stuff and produces a beautifully slick finish cut. Anyone recognize the stuff?

Just thought I'd share an interesting observation with others who might not have experienced it yet.

Steve

brass-compare1.jpg

Steve, what are the local scrappers charging a pound for brass?

Best,

BW

Bob
It's been going for $2.75 / lb. here as of two weeks ago. I've been lucky enough to pick up some from smaller yards at about $1.20 /lb. The selection is very hit or miss, but then I'm not complaining so long as the guy will sell it to me for that.

Either way, it's a far cry from the $.60 and $.80 I was paying as little as 18 months ago. I thought it was high, even back then....LOL. At least I was dumb lucky enough to stock up pretty heavily when it was still "cheap".

Steve

Steve,

That is what makes these little engines so interesting to make.

Use whatever you can get hold of, the purists can continue to look at metal numbers and emptying their wallets, while we just carry on enjoying ourselves.

In the little engines we make, having the right 'stuff' is not usually an issue. For more complex and larger engines maybe it does require a better material selection. But even the big boys with the full size traction engines will use a bit of scrap yard treasure if it comes their way.

The late great Fred Dibnah was renowned for it on his full sized engines. Have a look here and go to some of his quotes at the bottom of the page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Dibnah.
Never a truer word said.

Use what you can get hold of, it makes life more interesting.

That bit of light stuff at the end just might be aluminium bronze, a bit hard to cut, but gives a nice finish and is tough as old boots for bearings or pistons.

John

And if it is aluminium bronze, It's likely to be magnetic, Yea magnetic brass. regards Ian.

If it turns as curls or string chances are it's some kind of bronze.
Brass flakes off as chips.

That yellow 'brass' next to the copper looks like Aluminium Bronze, does it give off continuous turnings ? That stuff is a bastitch to drill and ream, it just wants to grab the drill or reamer.

Steve, Any idea what the piece is directly left of the copper? Is this the one you mentioned as having a green tint? Having that much variety in your material selection is great. But I guess you have to be carefull if you are making a multi piece component to be soldered together. At least if you want it to look like it was cast or machined from one billet.If you were to make a few rings and press them together then machine a flywheel from that kind of like Ralphs* laminate flywheel It would look cool.
Tim

* I think it was Ralph who did this, if not sorry.

Bogstandard said:
The late great Fred Dibnah was renowned for it on his full sized engines. Have a look here and go to some of his quotes at the bottom of the page. ... Never a truer word said.

This is the sort of gentleman who would be good to have as a mentor, even if it included getting all sooty to do so. Or as a friend.

Use what you can get hold of, it makes life more interesting.

A heck of a lot less expensive too. Every once in a while you may have to kludge something together due to a material shortage but that just adds to the fun. It's all part of the hobby.

Best regards,

Kludge ... who kind of just gave away part of the reason for his nickname. :)

Back