Brass Ship Clock

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutsqueezer

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I know there are a few clock experts here so let me ask you something: I was out with the wifey today lurking around some garage sales and I found this brass ship clock for $25. I picked it up and noticed it was very heavy. Since I am on the lookout lately for things that can be made into flywheels, I figured the cylinder might be thick enough at least for a decorative rim around a flywheel or three, or four. The lady who sold it to me said it worked fine, just needed a new battery. If it does work I might keep it as a clock and hang it next a similar-looking but much more expensive barometer I have hanging next to my bed.

I put a battery in it and so far it's working fine. Some polishing on the ol' buffer machine out in the shed and it should look like new.

When I opened it I was surprised to see two components I'm not used to seeing inside clocks. One is a thick coiled wire connected a block, maybe aluminum and the other is a thin wire coil much like you would see for a relay and there is a shunt resistor across it. That feeds into the clock mechanism which is covered with a shield so I can't see where its going in there. Anyone know what these are for? Do they ward off some sort of electrolysis or electro-migration? It's a mystery to me but I'm sure you retired Navy guys and clock builders have a quick answer.

-Trout

DSC05208.jpg

DSC05209.jpg

Trout,
It is a solenoid and a coiled "gong" to chime the hours.
Jim

For sure, the coiled wire is a gong. Almost all old wind-up mantle clocks and kitchen clocks used a similar coiled wire for generating the tone.

I have a wind-up ships clock and its "noisemake" is about the same, except that a mechanical hammer strikes the gong.

Obviously, the solenoid next to the gong is the striker.

Orrin

Doh! Now it all makes sense! A senior moment there for sure! Unfornately, the clock doesn't seem to be keeping time. I'll have to take it apart some more to see if I can permanently damage it. ;D

-Trout

Hi Trout
Any chance to post pic's of the clock movement also . It would be interesting to see what workings is in the clock & yes the coil is for the striking of the time .
Ric.pal

Greetings, We're going back a ways on this thread. The mechanism is of the quartz variety. When I took it apart I noticed the tiny spring mechanism (wound) was rubbing on the laminated metal pieces that surround it (forming a magnetic field, I suppose). I filed the metal laminations down a bit and the clock has been keeping perfect time ever since. I polished up the brass and now it looks brand new and looks wonderful in the kitchen.

-Trout

Latest posts

Back