brass rod diameter, for threading with a die.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyb

Reaction score
Howdy, I will soon prepare a brass rod, which is 6mm in Dia., for threaded ends. I am contemplating either a #6 or #8 thread.
of concern is the diamater I should turn it to, for threading with a die.
I wonder if the major diamater of the thread is just peachy fine, or should it be slightly different, esp for Brass.

thanks,
bryan

Bryan, the major diameter of the thread should be fine and I just did that today on some 5-40 threads using stock .125 brass rod.l The key is keeping the die perpendicular to the rod and holding the rod...and die firmly. This assumes a relatively sharp good quality die.

Bill

working out well :)

got one made. now to make 3 _exact_ duplicates... :-\

much un, too. set the lathe to sllooowww... and held the die onto the work, lathe did the rest. just too cool. :)

I this is something you may do often, get a die holder for the tailstock and it makes it even easier. For smaller dies, even the less expensive imports will do fine and aren't that much.

Glad it worked out for you though!!

Bill

;D

these are 6mm rods, with threaded ends. used 8-32 threads on the ends.
They are horizonatal supports for a Stirling engine.
looks like I will need to turn some inch rod down..out of 4 pieces one is too short at the shoulders. 1 out of 4 ok for a newbie i guess :)

Back