Brass or Bronze

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have a question about a brass cylinder which i made for a flame eater some of you may already have read how I learned from listening a little to late. But my question this time is while somebody was looking at my little engine they were convinced i had made a bronze piston and not brass. How can i tell the difference. He said my burner and bearings and linkage arms were brass but not the cylinder by looking at the colour . I did get these both from different places is there anyway i can tell?
Regards Jamie

There are about a million brass alloys, and a million bronze alloys. Anybody who can unerringly tell the difference just by looking at a part is a lot smarter than I am.

IN GENERAL, a bronze alloy is more difficult to machine than a brass alloy. If the parts you made all machined easily, they're probably brass.

IN GENERAL, bronze is a copper-tin alloy and brass is a copper-zinc alloy. If you can find a chemical test for tin, or zinc, you should get a good indication. I'm not sure this distinction is true of every bronze or brass alloy, however.

Thanks
Sound for that. That sure is a big beauty in the link above.
The cylinder was rather easy to machine with small fine chips and it would buff to mirror no prob so I'm leaning towards brass aswell I just taught they might be some simple check i was missing. I will save the above speedymetals link it looks like a good reference, now that im almost looking for a new project 8)
Regards Jamie

Fingers said:
Hi everyone
I have a question about a brass cylinder which i made for a flame eater some of you may already have read how I learned from listening a little to late. But my question this time is while somebody was looking at my little engine they were convinced i had made a bronze piston and not brass. How can i tell the difference. He said my burner and bearings and linkage arms were brass but not the cylinder by looking at the colour . I did get these both from different places is there anyway i can tell?
Regards Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Can you post a picture of this "little engine" I would be curious to see myself. I also noted that my local scrap yard charged me the same price for a copper round bar and a brass octagon bar, someone made out better not sure who.

Thanks,
Rob

Thanks for posting the link Pat J I way off celebrating my runner lol.

Latest posts

Back