Brass Cleaner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Brasso will do the job I have used it many times with great results don't forget the elbow grease!!!!! I am assuming that if we can find the product in Malta a small island in the middle of the Mediterranean you can find it in Alaska:))))

Brasso and Silvo are household names here in Australia and New Zealand been around since Capt Cook
A small dab on a rag and a good rub you'll see your face in the brass / copper.

The poster with the bottle of 'thin' brasso... Maybe the abrasive has settled to the bottom. I found I needed to use a 'stick shaped object' to dig it off the bottom of my last can. Shaking had no effect.

-russ

Hello all, I wanted to thank each one for posting on this thread. I have gotten a world of good information from what started as a small question.

I hope the posts and ideas keep coming.

Have a great day.

I still have the remnants of a tube of "simichrome" polish I bought in Alaska many years ago. It works very well on any metal. However, the problem is once polished how do you keep it from tarnishing..... I've never found a totally satisfactory solution.

I built some handicapped accessibility equipment for someone a number of years ago using bar brass railing. The customer did not want to have to polish the brass regularly so we had the railings clear powder coated. This seemed to work very well. Just a thought! I use "nevr-dull wadding polish" made by eagle one. Or mothers chrome polish. Good results with either of them.

Tarnish Shield by Rio Grand is used extensively in the jewelry trade to prevent tarnishing of finished jewelry. It cost about $18.00 a gallon. The part is soaked for 15min to half an hour and then rinsed with water. I've used it on lots of silver and gold and just a bit on brass and it seems to work fine. I like it better than clear lacquer because it leaves no obvious residue on the surface like lacquer does. It's more like a chemical bonding with the metal.

Latest posts

Back