Brass/ Aluminium Detailing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a curtain way to detail Brass/ Aluminium it consists of putting small swirls on the metal to give it a different type of finish. I heard it called " Pearlauge " but I am not sure of the spelling I was wonder if anybody out there new what I was talking about. Cliff

I have heard it called "Jeweling" as well. You see it a lot on the bolt of well made rifles. As far as technique, there is two I know of. The first method is to us a tool that has a wire bristle on the end of a shank, that you chuck up in your spindle. You bring it down to the piece you are working with and let it sit just on the surface to make a nice swirl pattern. Some type of cutting oil is used as well. To make a nice job of it, you would then accurately index your part to make the next swirl, and continue until finished. Having your piece ready to be either rotated for round pieces, or the milled table moved in a linear fashion with keep the pattern straight pleasing.
The second method I know is like the first, except you use a wooden dowel to touch the work instead of a wire bristle. Same principle, just barely let it touch the work. I would assume this method is to be used on fairly soft material.
I have not done this myself, only what I have read or heard about. Hope this helps.

I have also heard it called "engine turning".
I have done it on aluminum using a pencil (eraser end) and clover lapping compound. spread a thin layer on the work, bring the eraser down onto the work, raise it, move the work and do it again. The eraser should be in contact with the work the same duration each time. Do some practice ones to determine the time needed. Don't press the eraser too hard or you will get uneven circle size. Wash the excess lapping compound off, do not wipe it off or you will get scratches. Different grits give different results. I do believe you can get brushes, as described by Ken especially for doing this.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=608/Product/ENGINE_TURNING_BRUSHES

Hope this helps,
MikeR C

Try doing a search for "engine turning".

There were a few auto builders that used to detail firewalls and dash panels like Bugatti and Duesenberg.

I hear a pencil eraser with a dab of car polish works well on aluminum.

"Damascene" is a term I know of it being called, or as previously said, "engine turning". A short piece of doweling held in a drill chuck and valve lapping compound is used to acquire the desired results. A method of accurately aligning the work piece is necessary to keep things 'straight' but can be done free hand to a general overall effect. I once assisted my Grandpa perform this finish on the face of a bank vault. He used a powered hand drill and a homemade tripod arrangement. It took several days to complete the work but is still just as beautiful today as it was 50+ years ago.

BC1
Jim

Cliff, put some 220 grit paper in a vibratory sander and slowly move it in small increments.

It takes a few minutes to get down the "technique", but it gives a finish on aluminum that is three dimensional in appearance under multiple room lights. ;D
and it seems like a million little small swirls.

Kermit

I have used glass fibre cleaning sticks to good effect (the ones that are round and covered in fabric) Used in a similar way to the pencil idea.

I have also used a piece of wooden dowel with grinding paste on the end. The advantage of the dowel over the pencil is that you can select a size to suit the pattern you want.

John

The Eastwood Company sells Craytex sticks made specifically for this purpose. The process was originally known as Damascening because it was first used by makers of armour in Damascus to "dress up" suits of ceremonial armour.

Well now, all of these years I have been referring to the process of 'engine turning' as "damascene' and now after this thread and doing a web search, I find that 'damascene' is actually a process of inlaying metals and not the swirl pattern finish. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make that mental correction and only refer to it as an engine turned finish from now on. My, the things that you learn here, it never ceases to amaze me, and old dogs CAN learn new tricks. ;D

BC 1
Jim

http://volvospeed.com/Mods/engine_turning_jewling.html
I have used the dowel method and the cratex sticks from Enco
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=252&PARTPG=INLMK32

normal_Mini_tool_holder.JPG

Beware both methods leave a gritty residue that gets into threaded holes and is hard to remove so plug the holes if you can DAMHIKT.
An addendum here. Reading the first link I like the idea of the pool cue end glued to the dowel, interesting.
I also feel a warning is in order do not handle metal with sharp jagged edges debur all metal before the next operation this improves safety and accuracy. I cringe looking at this guys photos. No red drippy stuff.
Tin

I've done it with the Craytex sticks and wire cup brushes. You'll need some sort of a holder for the Craytex. Precise indexing isn't really required easier-- I used 'turns of the handwheel' level precision and it came out looking great.

I want to thank everybody for there input it helped a lot. Cliff

Back