Bought a new machine yesterday---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This is a new oscillating sander that I bought yesterday. The spindle not only revolves, it travels up and down in a linear motion. I have never had much luck getting smooth inside corners on my aluminum fabrication work for small engines. I have tried filing, wrapping sandpaper around a dowel, even sanding drums mounted in my milling machine, but non of it gave really great results. This machine comes with five different size arbors, from 1/4" up to and including 2" diameter. Hopefully, this is going to improve the quality of some of my work. It was on sale for $160 off the regular price, so I dug deep into the Rupnow fortune and bought it.---Brian

e0etvk.jpg

Can this be used as a poor-man's die filer to clean up castings?

Last edited:
Possibly used to clean up castings, but definitely not a poor mans. Full price on one of these units is around $650.

Someone asked me to let them know how well this oscillating sander worked on model engine stuff. I tried it today for the first time, on the interior curve of what is going to be the base for a rocker arm support. It works great. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it does a fine job. I used my band-saw to remove the majority of the metal, but for the cleanup I used my new sander.---Brian
poV2E3.jpg

Finally I took a break from working on my sideshaft engine and built a stand/cabinet for the oscillating sander which has been setting on the floor of my office ever since I bought it. Half a sheet of 3/4" plywood and half a days work. I had a heck of a time deciding where to put it. There is no more room in my tiny machine shop and it's fourty below out in the main garage. I discovered that bit of space between a rack of shelves that has filled up with toys and the door into my machine shop.
qm8Sfi.jpg

The difference between us men and boys is the price of our toys. Whenever I buy something my wife just raises her eyebrows and lately they seem to be permanently raised.:)

This is a new oscillating sander that I bought yesterday. The spindle not only revolves, it travels up and down in a linear motion. I have never had much luck getting smooth inside corners on my aluminum fabrication work for small engines. I have tried filing, wrapping sandpaper around a dowel, even sanding drums mounted in my milling machine, but non of it gave really great results. This machine comes with five different size arbors, from 1/4" up to and including 2" diameter. Hopefully, this is going to improve the quality of some of my work. It was on sale for $160 off the regular price, so I dug deep into the Rupnow fortune and bought it.---Brian

e0etvk.jpg

part of the normal busybee winter sales flyer event of a special deal?

Winter sale flyer. Not a special deal. I have wanted something to smooth inside corners on platework with for a long time now, and this fits the bill quite nicely.---Brian

Hi Brian,
Can you move the table up and down to use all the useful length of the exposed spindle when working with thin material, or will you need to make a series of false tables?
Regards,
Alan

Winter sale flyer. Not a special deal. I have wanted something to smooth inside corners on platework with for a long time now, and this fits the bill quite nicely.---Brian

Great, that means I can expect that price to come up again. I really want a spindle sander at some point but things keep coming up... My brother just scored 2 Kennedy machinist cases and loads of tooling today that took a chunk of change that I thought would go towards a metal band saw

The table tilts but doesn't move up and down. However, you can loosen off the screw on top of the mandrel holding the sandpaper tube in place, remove the tube, flip it over, and then use the other end of the sandpaper tube.

Latest posts

Back