Boring Head

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzie46

Reaction score

As I promised in “Question and Answers” section here are pics of my boring head.

DSC02818.jpg

DSC02820.jpg

DSC02821.jpg

The little 4-40 screw goes through the set screw hole for the horizontal boring bar and sits in a counter sunk hole to screw the brass 1/4-20 nut to the slide. The brass nut sits in the pocket that was milled out with a .125 end mill. I will lock tight the screw in after I give it a good de-greasing.

DSC02823.jpg

Here it is assembled.

DSC02824.jpg

DSC02825.jpg

I cut the radii on the slide with ball nose end mills. Man they sure make a lot of needled swarf. Finally used my shop vac to suck them up as I was milling and that helped a lot

There are a few goofs on it but none that will effect its operation. The rear vertical boring bar hole was almost drilled in the wrong spot, but I caught it before I couldn't move it. That is why there is a small hole next to it. Its not drilled to depth.

I also made 3 MT 2 shanks before I got one right. The threads were not concentric with the shank as I was tuning it between centers. Then the light went off in my head and said to myself “self, mount the finished taper in the head stock then cut the threads”. All was well then.

I haven't made the setting dial yet as I need to set up some sort of dividing mechanism. If I don't have a 25 tooth gear maybe use Turbocad to print up a circle with 25 marks on it and glue it to some plywood and mount to the rear of my spindle with a pointer.

Well thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.

Ron

That looks a lovely job ozzie ,you guys amaze me I would never even think of making one,maybe in my younger days but time is precious now, allthough I seem to have plenty,mainly taken up with seeing to the needs of other people.
Excellent job
Don

Thank you Don. I have more time than money so I try to make what I can.

Will try a dividing head soon but first I need to make an adapter plate for my 3 in. rotary table so I can machine the wheels for my Simplex loco. Instead of castings I will machine them up. the wheels are over 5in. Six of them.Now thats going to take some time.

Your way of spending your time is a lot better than mine. God Bless You.

Ron

"I have more time than money so I try to make what I can."

Excellent point, as I have spent a bit of time here I have discovered the wide range of (Lucky ;D) folks who have time & money to 'tool up' as it were, and those of us trying to balance one over. Ahhh, the never ending saga of tools and stock eh?

Chazz

Back