Boring Head Presetter Tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshire

Reaction score
Boring Head Presetting Tool

If you’ve followed (and how couldn’t you) my Elmer’s #33 build log, you saw that I used a boring head to mill the inside and outside curves on the crank.

The question came up about how the head was set for the radius.
When I did the operations, I guessed a lot, did a lot of adjusting on the boring head and generally moved the X and Y handles until the tool’s path matched my layout lines on the part.

There had to be a better way and here’s my take on it.

The Mark I Boring Head Presetter

Nothing more than a 6061 flatbar with a 6” scale attached with 2-56 SHCS

The tool is zeroed under the spindle.

The boring head is mounted and the tool tip is brought close to the 6” scale

And, the boring head is adjusted to the desired radius.

Disclaimer
I haven’t tried this yet and don’t know how precise it is. It should be close enough for a starting measurement. I think it could be very precise if a caliper was used instead of the 6” scale.

Enjoy!

Good Idea, here is another suggestion of a way to set the head.
Using a scrap piece of alumium in the vise, edge find the edge of the alum. Zero mill and step over the radius amount you want to set he head and adjust boring head out until it touches the alum. Mike

Hi Stan,

Good idea. Will KIV. Been using my haphazard way and getting haphazard reaults. Was never able to get to dead centre.

Gus
It's amazing how many guys gave me really good tips on setting the boring head dimension. Of course, they all waited until I had finished the tool and posted it.:p
So it was another tool that I will use because I use the boring head a lot, but, it was also more machining practice which can only help.

Back