Boring and Facing Head

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyo

Reaction score
Hi Folks
This is a Boring head I recently completed. It's designed by Grahm Meeks from across the pond. He did a nice job of creating and machining it. I had to try it myself when I came across it while researching another project.
IMG_0475.jpg
I did change a few things around a bit, as I never could color within the lines, but its basically the same. The knob is smaller and fixed now verses the original and Its body is made out of cast iron.
IMG_0343.jpg You can find a set of his drawings in The Projects for your Workshop and past editions of Home Shop Machinist.
IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0440.jpg IMG_0475.jpg IMG_0497.jpg IMG_0560.jpg
Wonderful build, I purchased a R-8 shank to mount it on and a set of 1/2" boring bars to use with it.
I'd like to make his new geared model when it gets published in Home Shop.
Thanks again Grahm for a fun and useful project.
Johnny O

Very nice work. Did you find any omissions in the drawings/dimensions or places you deviated from the design?
You're saying there is another design coming out? (you mentioned geared).
The one you made is a traversing model, right? I think they call them 'automatic'.

It’s a star wheel activated design, two pins in the upper ring have notches and detects to allow their activation by rotating them so the star wheels either hit the shaft diameter or if no facing movement is desired the notches are turned down so the star wheel passes thru with no contact. Not sure of new design as I haven’t seen it yet.

I found no emissions in drawings but I did make a couple changes I felt comfortable with. I moved the bushing out to the outer support plate and went with .5 module gears , the closest match I could find since I don’t like cutting my own gears or hardware. I recall them being an odd size diametric pitch so I had to either cut them or go the easier route and buy some cheap Chinese gears and machine as necessary.

Back