Bore Mic's

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few months ago I posted for sale a Fowler Bowers Bore Mic. In the for sale forum, it got about 280 views and no offers, I then sold it on ebay. It was a $100 tool.

So a question to members, is a bore gage that reads from .5 to .625 in quarter thousands not useful enough to interest you, of is it a price point issue.

I ask as I have a few more that came as a lot purchase which dupe the ones I have, so I'll be selling them. But if there is not interest I won't bother here and just sell them on the 'Bay.

I bought a couple of these cheaply a few years back. They are quicker to use than other types, but for me not worth a huge premium. I think I paid around $40/each. Mine are B&S .7-.8 and .5-.6. I use these if the bore to be measured fits, and the telescoping ones otherwise.

Since their measurement range is fairly small, a full set can be expensive even when the individual ones are economical.

They are great, if you have the budget for them. But I don't do a lot of production so the results I get from a Telescope Gage are generally just fine.

So at the prices mentioned by kvom, to go from 1/2 to 1" is going to be what, $160. That's a lot of materials for making stuff that is tied up in tooling that might just sit.

I love the nice tools, but the bottom line is, I would like to use the few tools I have, rather than buying expensive ones and not be able to use them.

It would appear that on this forum that bore gage is not considered to be a $100 tool. While it may go for that on other sites, if there is no demand here, then the price is too high on this one. Soory, but that is just simple Economics 101.

Last edited:
I agree. Too dear:eek: most members here are on the pension and while we would like to have all these "toys" we must prioritise our purchases with our meagre funds

Last edited:
Thanks all for sharing you thoughts with me. I am a disabled guy so I know of fixed income issues.

These bore gages I've been buying for a number of years to get a fair size set. Aside from a couple of Parts Only units I never got any at the price Kvon did. But when making axles for the drive wheels of the Loco, knowing the size of the wheel bore makes all the effort worthwhile.

A while back I bought a couple of sets of "chinese cheapy" small bore gages and one Mitutoyo tenths indicator to replace the junk indicator they come with. Work just fine at a fraction of the cost.

Back