Boosting Wi-Wi

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only one review on Amazon? Makes me wonder - why isn't it that popular and why is it on clearance? Many people have the problem of limited range on their wireless routers so one might think they would be lining up to buy this.

Sometimes routers set up as repeaters will halve your bandwidth because of the repeating process. May not be a problem for you, depending on your usage.

You might read the one review on Amazon, apparently the guy did not like the manual so he explains in his own words how to get it running.

Hi Vic

Unfortunately the link you provided just times out for me...

I don't know how much access you have to your wireless router's configuration or what type of router it is, but on many of them the wireless signal strength can be adjusted through configuration settings. I know here in Namibia the service providers have started to lower the signal outputs because of a proliferation of wireless devices getting installed, and I'd imagine the same would hold in the UK.

If you can access the settings, see if you can increase the signal strength with a setting - or, alternatively, see if you can make the router run on a different WiFi channel; that might help a lot too; the lower channel numbers are fractionally better at penetrating walls.

Might save you a couple of quid if you can try this and it happens to work.

Kind regards, Arnold

I use a similar one at home!

My main connection is in the basement.
I plug one of those boxes into the mains with an Ethernet from my router box.
Another one is plugged in upstairs in my step daughters room and an Ethernet into the computer.

Works like a charm!!!

I also updated my wi-fi to a 300M range unit!
Perfect reception for wireless upstairs!

Andrew

Thanks for your thoughts guys! Maybe I should have a look at the settings on my Netgear router first then. The reviewer on Amazon gives the gizmo 5 stars so I guess it may do the trick for me if I need it.

Vic.

Vic

At home I use wired, wireless (with a repeater) and homeplugs but I am no expert. I had a look on the Edimax site to see how it works and from what I can understand is that you plug the box without the antenna to a power outlet close to your router. Connet the box and the router with an ethernet cable. This will give you internet access in any room with a power outlet. You plug the other box with the antenna in the room where you want to access the internet and use wireless to connect to your computer (like Andrew said). From my experience with networks it is easier said than done.

In my case to extend the range of the wireless signal I used a repeater.

http://www.scanmalta.com/eshop/edim...max-multi-function-wireless-access-point.html

Vince

Looked at different ways to extend range, took the cheap easy method.

I use routers set up as repeaters. Main of course hard wired to cable modem and in central location. 1 ea router/repeater each end of house. Don't really notice much difference to speed between the main or the repeater use.
Just have to remember NEVER hit the reset button on the routers when set up as repeaters.

Robert

I have thought of another option. Whilst it would not be easy to move my cable modem perhaps I can move my wireless router (which is plugged directly into it) by connecting the two with homeplugs - what do you think, would that work? These are about half the cost of the wireless system I linked earlier:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_9&products_id=113205

Perhaps this would be easier to set up as well?!

Vic.

Latest posts

Back