Bonza hit and miss engine designed by John Williams

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

airbus

Hello all, here is photo of Bonza hit & miss 28.3 cc engine designed by Mr John Williams of Melbourne.

He kindly supplied me a set of drawings to build this during 2010 and has given permission for me to provide the same to this hobby site for personell use.

I think I have today uploaded the drawings etc in 3 parts. Bonza plans, Bonza Notes and Bonza photo.

J Williams.jpg

Airbus,

this is a beautiful build. Any vids of it running? I'd like to listen to it's sound.

very impressed,

Kudos

tom in MA

But I cannot find the plans and the notes.

where did you upload them? thanks in advance,

tom in MA

Bonza plans etc uploaded in the download section, I did not get any error message so I don't know what happened, will try again. Regards.

Hello, I've tried to upload plans etc again (3-parts) each time and again 1-part today, it seems to work without any error messages, I must be doing something wrong so I've given up.

Could the reason you're having problems uploading because of too large a file size?

Hello,
Before I uploaded I checked file index and there are some files there (15mb or bigger) so I thoughtit would be OK.

Kind regards.

Hi Airbus,

Just briefly introduce myself.
I am a teacher at a technical school to teach pupils aged 17 and 18.
I myself spent several years making small steam engine little, and have also 3 years ago tried this at my school.
Well it was a great success, the students were asking more than this in the future to continue to do so.
The first engine was a simple steam engine, one year later, we built a flame eater per pupil and a 2 - stroke 12 cc engine with a class.
Last year I used my class a 5 cylinder radial engine gebouwt, the colleagues build a 4-stroke, a 2 stroke in January and February Sturlings Knights and another student at a Yes fan.
So as you can see, both teachers and students fascinated by engines.
For this school year I started with a V-8 engine and colleagues with the Comber Rotary Engine.
Since I'm always looking for new ideas have I met you Bonza pretty disappointing.
But I can not find the drawings and attachments in the download area.
Would it be possible to email it to me then I projecht prepare and make the future look compline.
I will make all the plans have yet to convert to mm I suppose.
Here are some sites where you can admire our work.

http://www.vasjo.be/Luchtmotoren.htm

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUxxFpPnk8[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vasjo1&aq=f

With friendly greetings,

Joseph Vaesen from Belgium

Teacher at Wico Campus TIO Overpelt

This entire letter posted here because you can not find your account email.

Hello Airbus and welcome, perhaps the difficulty in uploading the plans for this suberb looking and sounding engine is because of the file type being invalid. Where the files in a .zip form or .pdf? Have a look at the accepted file types that are listed when you go to the upload page and it asks you to select a file. I do hope that you are able to get the files up here as this engine is quite an interesting one.

BC1
Jim

Hi!!
I realy want to build the Bonza Hit & Miss!
Does anyone now how to get the drawings?
Or do the downloads work now? cant find it anyway.

Ove

Hi Ove
The "Bonza hit and miss" was published in "Australian Model Engineering" over about 6 issues I think
It may have been from issue 146 to 151.
I was going to build this myself (and still might)
I think the designer is a member here somewhere
Pete

Hi Vasjo, I am still working on the drawings of my version of the Bonza to send to you. It used to run perfectly on one of Jan Ridders' vapour carburettors and then it decided not to do so.

For some time, I have been chasing down the problem - new rings to give good compression, messing about with the mixture and so on. For reasons I do not understand, it will only run with a very rich mixture (at least according to an exhaust gas analyser I borrowed)

I have just finished building a carburettor like the one in the magazine (well nearly the same) and the engine once again runs. But still the EGA shows a very rich mixture.

I will continue with the drawings and send them when they are complete. Sorry is it taking so much time.

Jim

AussieJimG said:
Hi Vasjo, I am still working on the drawings of my version of the Bonza to send to you. It used to run perfectly on one of Jan Ridders' vapour carburettors and then it decided not to do so.

For some time, I have been chasing down the problem - new rings to give good compression, messing about with the mixture and so on. For reasons I do not understand, it will only run with a very rich mixture (at least according to an exhaust gas analyser I borrowed)

I have just finished building a carburettor like the one in the magazine (well nearly the same) and the engine once again runs. But still the EGA shows a very rich mixture.

I will continue with the drawings and send them when they are complete. Sorry is it taking so much time.

Jim

Hi Jim!
I´m looking forward to your drawings ;D
Ove Larsson
Sweden

Hi Chaps,

I had some time off the Bonza drawings for a couple of other things including a trip to UK to the Harrogate ME Exhibition. What a treat that was for a bloke from the outer reaches of civilisation. But I am now over the jet lag and back on the job.

In the meantime: Airbus, could you send copies of the drawings to me please and I will have a go at getting them up on this site. There are a couple of other blokes in Oz who are also interested so maybe we can get something going here.

Jim

Hello again,

I have now finished the drawings for my version of the Bonza engine. I have called it Bonzer to distinguish it from John William's original. But the drawings total about 15MB even in zipped form (they don't compress much) which exceeds the upload limit for this site.

Also, I am a bit concerned about putting my drawings up since the change of ownership and policy.

But if any of you would like to send me a PM with your email address, I will send them to you. Hopefully, everyone interested will reply at once so I can send them all together.

Cheers

Jim

Brian, Tim, Steve, Ron, Greg,

Here you go chaps, the drawings have been emailed to you.

Please note that I didn’t have a CAD package when I built the engine so these drawings have been produced from measurements and bits of paper and backs of envelopes that were used at the time.

The head with side plug and the head with side plug and valve guides have not been built – they are just the way I think I would do it next time to avoid the problems with the original.

There are a few photos taken during construction on John Somers’ website here: http://start-model-engineering.co.uk/category/hit-n-miss/

I think that drawings without errors are like computer programs without bugs: just those in which the errors/bugs have not yet been discovered. So despite my checking, there are bound to be some errors in the drawings and I will be happy to have these pointed out by any of you who use them.

If you use the Alibre CAD package and would like the Alibre files, I am happy to make these available as well.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Jim
AussieJimG

Those are some beautiful plans my friend!!! The engine is a treat as well!!!! I am in the process of converting them to imperial dimensions as we speak.

Greg

Greg has spotted a couple of omissions in the drawings so I will update them. There is a cutout missing from Item 80: Governor Mounting Plate and no drawings for Item 175 Magnet Mounting Ring or Item 114 Driving Dog.

If those of you who have the earlier drawings would like the updates, please let me know (I am not sure I have a complete list of those to whom I sent the drawings).

Note that Greg is converting the drawings to imperial so if you need them in inches, Greg might be prevailed upon to make them available.

Jim

Only with your permission Jim!!!! I don't want to step on your toes as you did all the hard work.

Greg

Latest posts

Back