"Bonds Maximus" ("Portass model S") ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello members ,
I am a new member and a complete novice in lathe work .
Damaged geadstock 1.jpg

I am searching for either help in finding spares for the above ..particularly a headstock bearing housing as one of Mine has cracked at some stage & has been repaired by welding ?
Alternatively is there Anyone Who could machine a new part for Me please ?
I am very keen to get this old lathe working again as I have owned it over 50 years and am only finding time to devote to its renovation .

Thank You in advance,
Steve..

As the headstock and bed are cast in one piece with the bronze mandrel bearings in split adjustable housings it is unlikely that a new part would be possible .
There were many small lathes intended for hobby use that were made to this pattern between the wars, and of the few I have owned or inspected several have been broken at the headstock bearing and repaired by welding.
After repairing by welding the housings can be re-machined true by making an adjustable boring bar that runs in the tailstock with the barrel removed.
This can be turned by hand to re-cut the housing. A very long winded and boring (excuse the pun) process , but it does work and can make a scrap lathe useable.
Dan.

Back