BollAero1.8 Running Gremlins

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to be sorry Ken, Ian wasn't joking and neither was I though whether it ever comes to fruition is another matter :).

Now we really should get back to Patrick's issues - how did that new liner turn out Patrick?

Tug

UPDATE: She Lives!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

After a few more hours in the shed.... success!!!! Thanks for all the advice.

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 17.37.13.png

So I had to go backwards to go forward and ended up re-making the cylinder liner and piston. This time I used carbide grinding paste after having had the bad previous experience with the diamond paste (although I'd probably try the diamond paste again in the future after I've got my hands on an ultrasonic cleaner as it removes metal a lot faster). I tried making one of the coper laps

This time I tried using a copper lap and getting the final fit by lapping the piston to the liner with 1000 grit paste (thanks Ramon for the suggestion) very very cautiously, cleaning and checking fit many times before the 'pinch' at TDC. The last 1mm or so was actually done without paste and just a good bit of WD40 lapping the cast-iron to the EN1A with a gentle rotation by hand. In the end, I didn't use the copper lap as I struggled to get the final size right after taking out all the imperfections after hammering and silver-soldering. I think I will try these laps again when I'm dealing with a slightly larger bore (1/2" on the Boll Aero is v small to be making one of these copper thingies!)

IMG_0250.jpeg

I also used this technique for the last mm or so of the contra-piston. Mounted on the mandrel used for the turning on the lathe, i gently lapped it in to the top of the liner and contra-piston until the the fit was right.

After the compression was sorted, I got back to the original issue again; the engine would fire up on the primer when squirted into the exhaust but then no more. Also, there didn't seem to be a lot of suck through the carb or 'pop' when turning the engine over with the cylinder head and contra-piston removed. Re-reading the thread here I eliminated one potential problem at a time.

- Spray-bar hole at 90deg to the air flow.
- New cylinder liner has a push-fit with the crank case (needs heat to remove now) so should make a good seal.
- Fuel hight in tank just below venturi
- Correct-size port holes

Still no joy. Then the last the last ting I tried. A bit of paper!!

IMG_0251.jpeg

A postit note cut out on my DIY laser soaked in oil and installed as a gasket in the front and rear of the crank case. That seemed to be the issue. My crank case rear cover was just not machined well enough and wasn't air tight. Installed the gasket, gave it a few flicks and off she went. I'm on my 5th 1-minute break-in run and the revs seem to be going higher every time.

I am over the moon. Thanks all for the help and bring a noobie like me one rung up the ladder. I am off to rest my arm and put some plasters on my fingers.

Patrick

Hi Patrick
Welcome to the 'silly grin time' club. Nothing like an engine you've made bursting into life. Really pleased for you - you deserve ten out of ten for perseverence in seeking out the problems too. As I thought - a leakage of air - but didn't consider your c'case seals - these do have to be first class face to face and assumed you would have had a gasket in.

You will have learnt a lot in making this - something to put into another. If I may - I'd suggest going up a size to 2-1/2cc - the Nalon Viper, all made from stock, is an ideal candidate - you'll find the slightly larger parts easier to handle. I have drawings if you can't find them.

Well done mate, been a pleasure to help, just do it again but better👍👍

Regards - Tug

Nalon Viper seems like a great next challenge and has a great history too. Im reading the modelenginenews and MotorBoys sites articles and plans. If Peter Chinn is involved in naming it, it has to be worthy of a build!

Well done to have got there after all the sometimes confusing advice, not many noobs would have stuck it out. As Ramon advises, the Nalon Viper could be your next engine. Dealing with twin ball races will up your game!
I hope my contribution was helpful.
Ken

Latest posts

Back